Thread: Converting vintage buffet to kitchen island

Converting vintage buffet to kitchen island

Hi This is my first post here although I read here frequently. I am not a furniture maker and my carpentry skills are modest but I have some experience with refinishing that has come from my trash to treasure thrift addiction.

I have a vintage buffet that I am attempting to convert for use as a kitchen island. This is a solid wood, probably maple (??), Conant Ball buffet that I picked up for $80. It measures 42wx22dx36h.
    IMG_7216.jpg.jpg IMG_7222.jpg.jpg

So far I have cleaned it and sanded the old finish off and filled the hardware hole on the drawers. I also cut the scalloped edge off the skirt for a more clean lined style. I have sanded the back and am planning to add some 1x2 trim pieces to the back and cut a skirt for the back of the legs to help the back look finished.
    IMG_111.jpg.jpg

My original intention was to end up with an island that is espresso color on the bottom via GF Java gel stain to match an existing table in the room and had planned to put a piece of either granite or butcher block on top until I realized how much that costs. So now I am trying to figure out what to do with the top so I can end up with a eating surface overhang.

My current plan is to attach a drop leaf extension to the back of the buffet, using hinges and spring lid support hardware. I was unable to find a piece of maple so I have a piece of poplar for the drop leaf. I am not sure what to do about matching the routed edge on the buffet with the trim and drop leaf. I don't have a router nor do I know how to use one.

I am considering detaching the top surface and flipping it over so the routed edge would be underneath and the top surface would match the drop leaf better. The screws that attach it are fairly large though so the filled holes would show. Another option is to cut the drop leaf length to match the unrouted portion of the buffet surface. I took some pics of this configuration while I had the buffet face down. I know the end result wouldn't be ideal but its just for my own use and I don't feel like it has to be perfect, just functional.
    IMG_7259.jpg.jpg IMG_7260.jpg.jpg IMG_7261.jpg.jpg IMG_7263.jpg.jpg

I was hoping for some input since I am out of my comfort zone on this one. Is this a workable plan? What would be the best method for attaching the trim, nails, screws, adhesive? Any other ideas on inexpensive way to create an eating surface overhang? Should I just forget the drop leaf and use this piece somewhere else and find a kitchen cart for the island? Pics below. Thank you for any thoughts or advice!
    Last edited by Tracy Shubin; 12-18-2017 at 4:39 PM. Reason: fixwd wonky text, please switch to the stadard editor

Well my photos aren't showing up OK got images sorted out
    Last edited by Tracy Shubin; 12-18-2017 at 4:38 PM. Reason: fixed wonky text

You don’t say where you are but one of us may be close enough to give you a hand routing the new piece to match.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    You don’t say where you are but one of us may be close enough to give you a hand routing the new piece to match.
    Hi Steve. I'm in Florida

You're a couple more weeks in now, so you may have already skinned it, but if you are really adverse to routing the profile, the good news is that what you have could be achieved by applying 1/4 round to the edges. Since the corners would take a beating, I would even encourage that you keep it really simple and not mitre them. Run the piece on the front edge long, then file and sand it down to match the profile of the piece on the end. You'll need clamps (and several of them) to get a good tight glue joint, but if you careful with the glue up and keep the reveal at the top of the 1/4 round consistent, you can create the profile nearly exactly. Its an option.... and the good news is that since you are setting it up as a drop leaf, you can continue to work on your skills (and tool acquisitions) to remake the drop leaf portion later...