Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice selecting fence for Unisaw

Need advice selecting fence for Unisaw

Greetings. I recently purchased a Delta Unisaw (2000 vintage, made in USA, right tilt) that does not have a fence or rails. I’m looking for advice on which fence to put on it, and hopefully one that won’t break the bank. Your insight is appreciated!

~Dicky

Many Unisaw users love the Unifence---I think it is no longer made, but there may be used ones available.

Personally, I prefer the Biesemeyer. More solid, less flex, and easier to use on either side of the blade. (No re-configuration of the fence necessary). IMHO, this is the standard against which other fences can be compared.

Vega makes a nice fence as well...
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

I have both Unifence and Biesmeyer fences, and if I had to have just one it would be the Unifence.

Its just as sturdy as the Biesy, but so much more versatile. For example, the fence can be dropped right down on the table for cutting thin stock or laminates, it has a tall side and can be rolled to the short side as well. When on the short side you can fashion a push block that rides on the rail for thin stock. The fence can be pulled back when ripping solid stock so that it stops just past the blade, much safer with stock with a lot of stress, and then shoved back forward for sheet goods. There are aftermarket dohickeys for the Unifence that may be handy although I tend to make my own.

2 cents please......

Is the unifence still in production? Where can I buy one? Thanks!

The Uni-fence is long out of production. Suggest watching Craig's list and e-Bay. Also post a want-to-buy ad on Old Woodworking Machines classifieds -- http://www.owwm.org/index.php?sid=43...3ddef9806f2294

I ran a Uni-saw from 1987-2016 with a Uni-fence. When I bought the SawStop ICS in '16, I should have thought about a way to mount the Uni-fence on it.

As other stated, the hi/lo fence feature is worth its weight in gold. I usually kept the fence in the lo position to keep my hand further from the blade.

Peach Tree has an auxiliary fence -- Uni-T-Fence -- that makes fitting jigs easier: https://www.ptreeusa.com/tablesaw_unifence.html

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    if I had to have just one it would be the Unifence.

Its just as sturdy as the Biesy,
    I respectfully disagree. Versatile, yes. "Just as sturdy"--No. The aluminum extrusion on the Unifence is largely unsupported and can flex under load. I've used both for many years. Biesemeyer gets my vote.

I hate the way the Unifence locks down to the front rail. I am a Beiesemeyer type of guy. My bandsaw has a Unifence type of extrusion that locks lie a Beiesemeyer. Best of both worlds. I have had Shop Fox Classic fences on my last 2 saws. They work just fine. As mentioned, Vega makes a nice fence. You could also go with Incra. they make nice stuff but it doesn't appeal to me.

You might also consider the VSCT t-square fence.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

The one good argument against a Unifence is that the Unifence extrusion doesn't provide T slots for feather board attachment and other fixtures , but a Uni-T-Fence extrusion from Peach Tree Woodworking www.ptreeusa.com can be added to the Unifence main casting without any modification and this gives you 2 T slots on the top plus one high T slot on the working side. The face also has an HDPE insert on the working side below the T slot to reduce the friction of pushing wood along the fence. The Uni-T-Fence attaches to the main Unifence casting just like the original fence extrusion without any modification, so I switch them out whenever I want a low fence, a fence with a sacrificial board face for DADO use, or when I want to use something requiring T slots to attach. I also have a 16" long Uni-T-Fence to use when I just want a short fence to use as a stop if I am cross cutting. It's a shame that the Unifence was discontinued and now only available used. It is a very accurate and universal fence system.

My Unifence came with my used 80's vintage Unisaw, and I had mixed emotions about it, until I began using it. Then I grew to love it after adding the Uni-T-Fence. I have used a Biesmeyer fence at work for about 20 years and I wish I could get them to replace it with a Unifence, but this isn't likely, because nothing ever gets replaced, unless it can't possibly be fixed. Then they will only buy new, and never used. I have used many different saws in the past 55+ years that I've been woodworking, even some new high quality fences, and would never trade any one of them for my Unifence.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 12-18-2017 at 6:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Versatile, yes. "Just as sturdy"--No. The aluminum extrusion on the Unifence is largely unsupported and can flex under load. I've used both for many years. Biesemeyer gets my vote.
    If you pushing against the unifence hard enough to make it deflect your doing something wrong not the fence.

If one could be found, I'd also choose the UniFence. But if not, any of the Beissmeyer or clones or the Vega would serve you well.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had a Vega for years. Good fence and I really liked the finger saver for pushing thru narrow stock

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    If you pushing against the unifence hard enough to make it deflect your doing something wrong not the fence.
    Probably. When I'm ripping full sheets of plywood, I tend to push pretty hard against the fence in order to ensure good contact. The Biesemeyer handles this fine. The Unifence tends to flex a little, resulting in a less-than-straight cut. Maybe I'm too heavy-handed, but the Biesemeyer works better for me. Call me a gorilla, but the Bies is just stiffer.