Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tops for the class

Tops for the class

I always make finger tops for the kids in my kindergarten SS class at Christmas time. The little party is tomorrow and I was behind this year so I finished up tonight.

(sorry about the annoying shadows in the photo, I got in a rush)

This year I used dogwood, cherry, padauk, purpleheart, mahogany, ebony, holly, maple, olive, and yellowheart. I hold a long enough piece of wood in the chuck to make at least two in a row, sometimes three.

Someone asked me how many of these I've made over the years. Yikes, I had no idea, 500, 800? I used to make them in batches of 50.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 12-16-2017 at 9:57 PM.

Nice work, John. The acorn ones are adorable.

Wonderful things, been studying them for some minutes. Good work for good works.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Wonderful things, been studying them for some minutes. Good work for good works.
    Mel,

Thanks! If you are interested in design variations, here are some more from years past:

tops_comp2c.jpg tops_dec2015.jpg tops_comp.jpg top_sequence.jpg

One thing that may be of interest to top makers is a method I came up with to burn thin lines in the steep slope of the top using a fine wire, normally impossible. There are other ways to make lines on a slope but for me this makes the cleaner and thiner lines:
    top_IMG_4974.jpg
    If anyone is interested in this, I can look for some instructions I wrote up once.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    Nice work, John. The acorn ones are adorable.
    Roy, the acorn tops are always among the first chosen! For some reason most kids can spin them easier too. (these are also easier to spin upside down, something I always challenge the kids to learn.) One time I accidentally got some spiral tool chatter while turning the "cap" of one which I've not been able to duplicate since!

JKJ

Charming toys John. I know those little ones will enjoy them!
    Merry Christmas!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    One thing that may be of interest to top makers is a method I came up with to burn thin lines in the steep slope of the top using a fine wire, normally impossible. There are other ways to make lines on a slope but for me this makes the cleaner and thiner lines
    As a guess, I'd use an awl, one with a relatively blunt end rather than super pointy. Should heat up quickly without damaging the awl.
    One time I accidentally got some spiral tool chatter while turning the "cap" of one which I've not been able to duplicate since!
    I have a tool here that can do that fairly easily. Normal tool handle, at the end is a collar and a screw threaded into it. Extending out from that is a semi-rigid bit of flat metal, reversible to a round profile or notched.
    Looks a lot like this one (bonus "how to" page): http://www.rockler.com/skill-builder...a-chatter-tool
    You're probably familiar with it already, but maybe it's of use to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    As a guess, I'd use an awl, one with a relatively blunt end rather than super pointy. Should heat up quickly without damaging the awl.
    I've got some sharp awls, I'll try that.

But the problem I found with everything but a wire is the line was not clean and crisp (and usually bigger than I wanted for tiny turnings). After some discussion one gentleman on another forum even insisted his way with sharpened formica was better and quicker so I mailed him a finished dogwood top with lines burned into it. He wrote back and said he tried but could not get anywhere close to the look of what I sent.

JKJ

I have only made a few rather coarse and heavy tops. While they do spin over a two minutes once started, they were amongst the first things I made when I got back into turning. They were often full of tool marks, 3 to 4 inches in diameter and as tall. Despite, their large primitive and rustic quality, they were donated to be part of a hands on display at a local one room school house museum. I offered to replace them with better smaller, more refined tops, but I was told the small ones would just be pocketed for home. The large ones are too big for that and the kids will play with them but don't try to take them.

I'd like to learn you burning technique. I love the ebony top!

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I've also had little luck with anything other than wire. That leaves out flats and shallow inclines. So how do you accomplish this John?

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I've got some sharp awls, I'll try that.

But the problem I found with everything but a wire is the line was not clean and crisp (and usually bigger than I wanted for tiny turnings). After some discussion one gentleman on another forum even insisted his way with sharpened formica was better and quicker so I mailed him a finished dogwood top with lines burned into it. He wrote back and said he tried but could not get anywhere close to the look of what I sent.

JKJ
    RD

Friction burn with wire on a slope

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman View Post
    I'd like to learn you burning technique. I love the ebony top!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    I've also had little luck with anything other than wire. That leaves out flats and shallow inclines. So how do you accomplish this John?
    Thanks! I'm posting my notes in a new thread in case someone not reading this thread is interested.

JKJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

John, you've made me curious. You said the acorn tops are easier to spin for the children. Do they spin as long as the shorter, wider tops, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Green View Post
    John, you've made me curious. You said the acorn tops are easier to spin for the children. Do they spin as long as the shorter, wider tops, too?
    Well, sounds like an excuse for an experiment! I've never checked but intuition suggests the wider might go longer IF you can get them up to the same speed. I think one reason the kids can spin the acorns better is some have not yet developed the strength and coordination to spin some of the wider tops. Good question!

I shape the top of the handle as I feel like it at the time but I did notice something the other way. When I spin them upside-down a couple of acorn tops I made with a flat on the end of the handle instead of a point would kind of "jump" to a stable inverted spin. The wide tops with the points often won't stand completely vertical but the handle will move in a circle. Perhaps that also has something to do with the speed, a bit harder to spin as fast inverted.

Some years ago I ran across a turning club that had an annual top making and spinning, complete with timed tests and top wars! We tried it at our club once but it didn't generate much interest. Maybe some people felt disconnected since they focused on big bowls and never made small things.

JKJ

14. Those tops look happy. Doesn't look like they are a chore for someone that does them every year, hundreds of times!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Grossman View Post
    Those tops look happy. Doesn't look like they are a chore for someone that does them every year, hundreds of times!
    I consider them fun to make instead of a chore. They do take me quite a bit of time, though, since I never get in a rush (and I'm a slow turner anyway), and since I'm obsessed with perfect surfaces with minimal sanding. Part of the fun is picking through tubs of blanks and picking out candidates. When I cut and dry wood as well as buy exotics I keep the tops in mind. Another part of the fun is trying to think up new designs and variations.

BTW, turning several in a row from one piece wastes less wood than turning each from one blank. Lathe speed is maximum (over 3000 rpm). The only tools are skew, spindle gouge, and parting tool.

JKJ