Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dewalt DW735 Planer Elevation extremely difficult to adjust...

I haven’t had any issues thankfully I just got mine this past Christmas.....I’d definitely be on the return train.....
    I can sure make a mean pile of Saw Dust !!!

As I said earlier in the thread, the height mechanism is extremely simple. Take the lid off (as though you were changing the blades) and you'll see the chain and sprockets on each of the 4 posts. See if anything is binding or obstructed or whatever. This is some really basic troubleshooting to attempt before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    As I said earlier in the thread, the height mechanism is extremely simple. Take the lid off (as though you were changing the blades) and you'll see the chain and sprockets on each of the 4 posts. See if anything is binding or obstructed or whatever. This is some really basic troubleshooting to attempt before calling.
    Yes, Thanks Dan! I plan to do that today before calling. I have heard others have had this problem. One had a bent post, another said it moved hard at first but loosened up with use.

Dewalt tech support had this to say, "Are you turning it counter clockwise"? =)
    So much for tech support. Suggested I contact a Factory Service center.

I think I have decided to keep it. I saw other owners have had issues with the built in locking system in that the handle actually moved when in operation, changing the height. I guess it's better to have it work hard than to be too loose. After forcing it all the way up and down a few times it seems to be going easier. What would you recommend for lubrication the chain? I'm thinking a dry lubricant that doesn't cause sawdust build up might be best. ... ??

6. I can elevate my 735 with two fingers easily and I have never had it move on me at all. A selling point on the 735 is that it doesn't need to be locked down manually because its a 4 post design... If you go to your local BORG they probably have one set up (I know Lowes usually has the 735 on display) so you can see what it should take to rotate the handle...

A broken machine is a broken machine, thinking it will get any better is flawed logic, it may loosen up over time but you paid a small fortune for it you should get a machine that is working 100% correctly. I'm sure he fix is easy, its probably just a misaligned elevation between the posts, however this is a vendor problem, making it your problem has a strong possibility of a voided warranty. Think about this from the likely scenario where you have to take it in for service for a warranty claim, can you prove you didn't break it?

The most likely situation here is that you are wearing out the height adjustment by forcing it past a bind which all but guarantees that you will have to repair/replace the machine sooner than you would if it were working correctly... The big question, compare the cost of having to replace the machine in a year or so vs the inconvenience of having to have it replaced now, do you really want to gamble?