Thread: Kreg K4 pneumatic conversion

Kreg K4 pneumatic conversion

Been lusting after one of those old Kreg pneumatic clamps but they are tough to find. I bought this spring-return cylinder for $20 on ebay. It is held in place by two copper pipe stand-offs but it could just as easily be mounted with a couple of wooden supports. I liked the pipe clamps because I can reposition the cylinder if need be. The rubber foot came from frightprops.com I bought a foot-controlled valve for $10.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Built guitars in my basement for 10 years, mistakes went in the wood stove, was rarely cold.

Best funny woodworker line: "My worst fear is when I die my wife will sell all my tools for what I told her I paid for them"

Very nice!!! Have you had a chance to use it yet?

Blog Entries
    You should make one of these an add pneumatics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

When you release the foot pedal, does enough air escape to cause the pump to retract? Looks pretty awesome though.

Edit: I saw you mentioned a spring return, so that's my answer.
    Last edited by Hilton Ralphs; 01-02-2018 at 3:10 AM.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Yeah, I bought a pedal that you have to keep your foot on to allow air to pass to the cylinder, I put a regulator between the pedal and the cylinder, been experimenting with how much pressure is needed, seems like 20-25 LBs is plenty. The pedal releases the pressure in the output line past the actuator when you lift your foot.
    Works great, shoulda done this years ago :-)
    Built guitars in my basement for 10 years, mistakes went in the wood stove, was rarely cold.

Best funny woodworker line: "My worst fear is when I die my wife will sell all my tools for what I told her I paid for them"

Thanks Stan.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Do you have the model number for the cylinder?

Thanks for the info! My son moved to Colorado a few years ago to take luthier classes. He made a few guitars, but he also learned how to make drum shells, which seems to be his passion now.