Thread: Plow Plane Blades

Plow Plane Blades

Hello,
    I have a Rapier 43 plow plane with three blades, 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4. Currently, I am in need of a 3/8 groove.
    My daughter and I are making a cutting board with breadboard ends with draw board pins for Xmas gift. Has anyone tried using the blades from the Veritas small plow with this plane with success? I believe it to be the same as a Record 43 plane.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Wentzel View Post
    Hello,
    I have a Rapier 43 plow plane with three blades, 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4. Currently, I am in need of a 3/8 groove.
    My daughter and I are making a cutting board with breadboard ends with draw board pins for Xmas gift. Has anyone tried using the blades from the Veritas small plow with this plane with success? I believe it to be the same as a Record 43 plane.

Thanks
    Howdy Trevor,

For a question like this it is helpful to those trying to help you if an image of the plane can be posted. Not having a Record #43 made me look for it on line.

In one image a #43 appears to be set up with blades meant for a combination plane similar to the Stanley #45.

From the available images my guess is it would work fine. Are you near a Lee Valley store in Ontario? Dropping in with the plane in hand to check would be the fastest way to find out.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You might ask Lee Valley. Given what I've heard of Robin Lee's tool stash, they can probably go back and try a cutter out on an actual Rapier.

Or...ask Eric at nhplaneparts for the 3/8" cutter from a #45 plane......maybe $10 and gets here before Christmas.....

For now...use the 3/16"...and simply move the fence cut the groove twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Howdy Trevor,

For a question like this it is helpful to those trying to help you if an image of the plane can be posted. Not having a Record #43 made me look for it on line.

jtk
    Thanks, Jim I appreciate your answer and for taking the time to look the plow plane up. I would have posted an accompanying photo but I got rid of my cell phone a few years ago so posting photos to forums is not super casual for me...I will keep this in mind for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    You might ask Lee Valley. Given what I've heard of Robin Lee's tool stash, they can probably go back and try a cutter out on an actual Rapier.
    I will send this question to them, thanks. I didn't realize they may have the ability to check.

Have never heard of the Rapier, but from google photos, I would think the LV blade would work. The usual trouble is the notches at the top of the blade, where it engages the adjuster, and from what I can see the Rapier does not have any notches.

Steven’s suggestion will also work.

Veritas plough plane blades work just fine in my Record 043

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    Veritas plough plane blades work just fine in my Record 043
    Awesome! I think the Rapier is the exact same as the record.
    Could a chisel ever be used a substitute blade in a plow plane?

I have the Rapier #043. It is identical to the Record #043.

The blades are simple, straight lengths. Since the #043 does not use a blade adjuster, there is no mechanism to interfere with and dictate the length of the blade. Use a blade from either The Stanley #45, Record #044, or Veritas Small Plow.

You can purchase blades from Ray Iles in the UK (or have Ron Hock make one for you).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I have the Rapier #043. It is identical to the Record #043.

Derek

Thanks. I just ordered the Veritas blade this afternoon.
    I read your review online also, thanks. It was really useful.
    Do you know the widest blade the #43 can use by chance?

Hi Trevor

The widest is 1/4", however you could go wider. I have my doubts about the usefulness of this, however. This is a small and light plane, and it is not ntended for heavy work. It should be OK if the wood is not too hard.

Regards from Perth

Derek