Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: (new) Rough Cut

I have to say that Tommy Mac is a great guy. I did a "How to use a plane" class last year and it was great. This past weekend I did a class with him on dovetails. In a Saturday morning he taught 3 of us how to do a full blind dovetail. Sunday morning we made some more and then did a half blind. He is more than generous with his time, knowledge, and for me, tools. He might be a bit different than your regular TV host, but everything he does for people is in an effort to help people. I can only say great things about him. He's got some irons in the fire and working on some projects. I can't wait to see what is next for hiim. I only wish I had enough money to commission him to make me something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    I'm positive an international corporation knows how to protect its interests.
    I agree with you which is why I doubt any of the equipment was "free" with no strings attached based on some masterful chess move by TMac. One would expect the tool vendor's lawyers would stipulate plenty of conditions in some type of agreement.

Now maybe based on his fame and the possibility of exposure, plus the implication that this celebrity woodworker is endorsing the equipment, I could see him getting a discount that the rest of us might not get. I think lots of people on YouTube with large followings get those kinds of perks. Good deal for both parties.

Can you imagine how many tools, jigs, accessories have been sent to Norm Abram over the years seeking his endorsement, or even just his feedback? Good for him, he's earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krueger View Post
    Got this from Tom McL a couple days ago to share wgbh.cimediacloud.com/r/mOKDww Seems to me the show will go in a direction that all levels may find relevant, regardless of the specific projects involved.
    Looks like Felder and Fine Woodworking and sponsors. If you've ever seen Felder videos of things they build with their machines, they are pretty well done and informative, too. While I'll miss Tommy Mac's personality, the new format shows some promise. Now let's hope they don't FedEx the shows like they did with Tommy Mac.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Episode 801 - I think new, viewed today - Shaker Hall table made of Cherry.

He secures the top to apron on all 4 sides w pocket screws.

I TOTALLY disagree.. no allowance for future movement.

I say he is just plain wrong, or am I silly ?

How does this slide w the "Fine Woodworking" name on it?

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    Episode 801 - I think new, viewed today - Shaker Hall table made of Cherry.

He secures the top to apron on all 4 sides w pocket screws.

I TOTALLY disagree.. no allowance for future movement.

I say he is just plain wrong, or am I silly ?

How does this slide w the "Fine Woodworking" name on it?

Marc
    He elongates the holes in the long aprons to allow for movement although there wouldn't be much. There's less than 7 in. between the screws on the end aprons and the ones on the side aprons.

To quote Tom...

As for the wood movement issue. The screws at each end, in the center of the short rail don’t move at all. While the three screws along the long rails run in through holes that are reamed out a bit from side to side to accommodate for the minimal movement. With this arrangement, the top will only move from the center or the width out to the rail, approximately a 7” span. The reamed holes are more than enough to take care of that, even moving to a high humidity area.

Dave - Somehow I missed that part.

Thank you, Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

They currently have videos online of the first 3 episodes at FWW:
    https://www.finewoodworking.com/rough-cut/episodes
    (and previews of others)

Overall, pretty decent. I expect to watch as projects catch my eye.
    I liked the bow-front cabinet build. He's doing a nice job focusing on the interesting parts (although a 1-hour format would be a better format for the keen woodworking audience)

I must say that I sort of cringe at the dust highlighted in the opening sequence. (*)
    And seems like SCMI will get short shrift with stock prep not making the final cut...

Matt

(*) - I recall seeing dust highlighted in a video about building the Jarvi Bench, but I mostly remember the snorkel sucking it up when angle grinding... but a quick review shows that it was much worse than I had remembered.
    ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3ut...embedded#at=89 )

I'd also originally noted the use of traditional cabinet saw-style jigs with the slider (Dave Richards got the quote). Not sure on the rationale, but seems reasonable. Felder's youtube videos are great for showing the slider workflow.
    Last edited by Matthew Hills; 05-27-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post

- using a jig, rather than the slider, for cutting leg tapers

Matt
    They are using a slider because Felder is a sponsor of the program. Product placement. I think they use the jig and crosscut sleds because that's more like what the majority of their audience is likely to use.

I have seen the first 3 episodes carried by a local PBS station. I like them. I can learn from him.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    I'd also originally noted the use of traditional cabinet saw-style jigs with the slider
    Actually, for advertising, it may be a smart move. Those that are familiar with sliders know how to handle these things without cabinet saw style jigs, those that don't may see a slider in a new light where it isn't so foreign and can function similar to a cabinet saw if one likes, so they can explore the option without the feeling they are losing 20 years of cabinet saw jigs and fixtures.

I like the new show, I did grow to tolerate Tommy's frenetic cadence and pace though. I have seen 4 of the 8 episodes that are posted on finewoodworking.com I am not sure if they are behind the paywall since I am a member. My local PBS doesn't seem to be airing it and the PBS app doesn't seem to have it listed but I think that varies by your location so people in areas that are airing it may find it there as well.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.