Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: (new) Rough Cut

(new) Rough Cut

Tom McLaughlin (Epic Woodworking) sent out an email this morning that he'll be replacing Tommy MacDonald on Rough Cuts. The show is now partnered with Fine Woodworking and will be renamed Rough Cut with Fine Woodworking. Tom was a guest a few times on the old show and great to watch (IMO). Should be interesting

Glad to hear that they're continuing with the program. I didn't think McDonald fit really well as a show host, though the program format and editing didn't do much good for his type of energy. I found it to be more demonstrative (see what I did) than instructive (here's how to do it). I was introduced to Homer Formby videos during my earlier days in woodworking and then became a regular watcher of Bob Vila, This Old House, Hometime, and New Yankee Workshop. Hopefully with McLaughlin, they'll also revise the presentation and format.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 12-08-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Good to hear! Looks like it will begin airing on PBS in April. Not that i didn’t like Tommy Mac, but he could be annoying.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2017/...ings-rough-cut

It was one of the wood working shows that my wife was willing to watch. My guess is that my wife appreciated his appearance, but it could be because it was less technique than some of the others. She considers the guy on the Woodrights Shop to be clever from a linguistic point of view, but, the rest of the family runs away when I put it on.

Blog Entries
    I was OK with Tommy MacDonald. I am glad they are bringing the show back. I miss Norm Abrams though.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I was OK with Tommy MacDonald. I am glad they are bringing the show back. I miss Norm Abrams though.
    Same here, even though I've liked other shows, I don't think anyone has the same kind of personality that Norm had. I've met him a couple of times and he's a genuinely nice person. But you can't go home again, I guess. We'll see how the new show goes.

Hope the new show is a success. Looking at the FW blurb it will be a furniture building show. What I miss with Norm is the variety he had. He did carpentry projects (garden gate, pergola, shed, cupola, etc.) as well as furniture projects, and even threw in a chair IIRC and a whirlygig. It would be nice to see that sort of variety again in a woodworking show. Not all of us build furniture all the time.

Blog Entries
    I religiously watch "This Old House" and "Ask This Old House".

I think it's a great idea and look forward to it. I always enjoyed the Rough Cut shows with Tom McLaughlin. I hope he spends a little more time explaining design and joinery aspects than Tommy Mac did. Hopefully he will have the leeway from his sponsors/producers to do 2-part shows as Norm did on occasion to keep a consistent level of information flow across the shows.

I will miss though the visits by Steve Brown from North Bennet Street School. He offered a lot of good info on design and technique.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Where I'm at we did not always get Tommy Mac which left us with only TOH.But I hope we get the new improved Rough Cut,looks promising

That sounds like an improvement, I found Tommy too frenetic, and hard to watch.

It has nothing to do with his humour, I loved the Woodwright's Shop, Roy was a classic.........Regards, Rod.

I was hoping to see his new shop and the minimax machines in use...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith, too View Post
    Hope the new show is a success. Looking at the FW blurb it will be a furniture building show. What I miss with Norm is the variety he had. He did carpentry projects (garden gate, pergola, shed, cupola, etc.) as well as furniture projects, and even threw in a chair IIRC and a whirlygig. It would be nice to see that sort of variety again in a woodworking show. Not all of us build furniture all the time.
    I too liked Norm's variety. It would be something great to see a reboot of NYWS hosted by Tom Silva where each segment was an hour long.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Tubergen View Post
    I was hoping to see his new shop and the minimax machines in use...

Oh yeah, that would have been great.............Rod.

Not to change the subject, but do folks here get/watch the “Woodsmith Shop” and what are your thoughts? Everyone likes Norm, but my favorite was David Marks’ WoodWorks show on the DIY channel. Some really top-notch work, lots of variety.