Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help With Parting Out a Machine: Delta 33-890 RAS

Help With Parting Out a Machine: Delta 33-890 RAS

About eight years ago I purchased a used Delta 33-890 Radial Arm Saw. Over the years I have spent countless hours and more money than is reasonable trying to dial it in for precision work. I am no novice to woodworking machines and I have researched radial arm saws and applied that knowledge to no avail. I think the problem with this saw in particular could be the column/frame mount which seems to impart some deflection as the carriage travels along the arm. Anyway, I am done dealing with this machine and I want to get it out of my shop.

I have chosen to part out the machine. I'd like some opinions about what parts are of value that I should try to sell.

The overall condition of the saw is very good. There has been absolutely no rust probably due to spending most of its life in Colorado's arid climate. I'm thinking the following items are of some value.

The motor appears to be in very good condition and runs well. I think the bearings are in good condition since there is no play on the arbor. I did make an attempt to true the arbor flange, so there is evidence of that. The runout of the arbor bolt is less than 0.001".

The blade guard is complete with anti-kickback pawls.

Four carriage bearings, two eccentric bolts and guide rods would probably be usable.

I have the original legs, but they might not be of any value.

Should I sell the motor by itself or include the whole carriage assembly? Is there anything else that I should remove from the machine before scrapping the metal? What are fair prices for these components?

Thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-07-2017 at 9:46 AM. Reason: Fixed tiny formating

If it's a genuine made-in-the USA Delta saw head on over to OWWM.org, sign up and check out their BOYD forum for what parts are going for. Or post a thread in their Woodworking Machines forum.

They're pretty snobbish about the USA-made thing over there so do some research on your saw and the serial # before posting. They don't take kindly to Chineseum tools. Your saw looks relatively new(post-B&D takeover maybe?) but some of Delta's industrial tools continued to be made by Lindquist Machine in Green Bay after the buyout. Your saw could be one of those tools, just like my drill press.

HTH,
    Bill

Bill, it is a US-made machine. There are numerous posts on OWWM featuring the very same model. However, I tried numerous times to request the same information over there without any success. My posts kept getting deleted by the site's owner claiming I was in violation of some obscure forum rules that don't make any sense to me.

I think I will salvage the items I've mentioned and scrap the rest of the cast iron and steel.

Sorry to hear that, especially about the OWWM moderation. I guess that your idea about parting it out and scrapping the castings is the best thing to do. If it's broke beyond fixing that's the best thing to do, try to get some lemonade out of those lemons.

Seem's like a waste of a good tool though. It's a shame you couldn't get some help.

It seems a shame to part it out just because it doesn’t meet your requirements for precision. As it is, radial arm saws aren’t worth much any more, and parts from a modern saw are going to take forever to sell. How about donating it to Habitat and taking the write off instead? At least that way it will eventually find its way to a new home.

I had a similar Delta turret saw that I really liked. I don't recall any issues like you mention. I always felt it was every bit as good as the old DeWalts. The ONLY reason I sold it was I was out of room and I had other tools that could do the same job, otherwise I would still own it.

If it were my saw, I would sell it complete.

John

OWWM moderators do not allow discussions regarding tool valuation. Its clearly stated in their rules. OWWM has a section called BOYD. (bring out your dead) where you can list machinery for sale. They have a wide audience

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Patch View Post
    OWWM moderators do not allow discussions regarding tool valuation. Its clearly stated in their rules. OWWM has a section called BOYD. (bring out your dead) where you can list machinery for sale. They have a wide audience
    +1 with this; the forum rules are are pretty clear, and not obscure if you read them.

You didn't tell us what kind of precision you were asking from the saw; it may be that the saw can't produce because of the flex you've mentioned. Most arm saws will have that until you get to the level of a Unipoint, and even then it may not be to hold your particular tolerance.

Parting that saw out will probably take a long time, best to move it along to someone that can use it.

Sure is gorgeous. Wish you would refurb mine like that!!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Functionally, the saw has nothing to deliver. I was very disappointed that my 25 year old Makita sliding compound miter saw (first generation) can still produce a cleaner and more precise cut with a dull blade than this can. My local hardwood lumber source used to have one of these saws in their yard for rough crosscuts. They recently replaced it wit a Kapex.

I was hoping that parting it out would at least keep some other saws going and cut my losses to a small extent.
    Last edited by Sean Nagle; 12-07-2017 at 1:16 PM.

I have that same saw that I restored. It works great, cuts are beautiful with my 12” Chopmaster, and accurate. What exactly is it not doing for you?

Why go to the trouble of parting it out? You should be able to sell that saw pretty easily for about $300 on CL. The parts have value, but you have a very small market looking for them. Put a value on your time.

And Owwm has rules, you obviously broke one or more. Did you ask “how much is my X worth?”

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    You should be able to sell that saw pretty easily for about $300 on CL.
    Around here you would be sitting on it for a little bit trying to get $100 out of it. If you are going to part it out probably the only parts that have value and relatively easy to ship would be knobs, blade guard, anti kickback paws, bearings, motor, switch, rip and miter scale.

I have that same saw that I restored. It works great, cuts are beautiful with my 12” Chopmaster, and accurate. What exactly is it not doing for you?
    The cut is wavy as if the carriage, arm and/or the column are deflecting/swaying along the cut. I built a new stand for it thinking the legs were too spindly and were introducing some sway into an already top-heavy tool, but that made no difference in the cut quality.

Why go to the trouble of parting it out? You should be able to sell that saw pretty easily for about $300 on CL. The parts have value, but you have a very small market looking for them. Put a value on your time.
    I have had it listed on Craig's List from time to time with no interest at all. I figure the few parts of real value like the motor are small enough to hang onto and try to sell.

And Owwm has rules, you obviously broke one or more. Did you ask “how much is my X worth?”
    I did ask about value and when Bohn mentioned it, I removed that part of the post and then Bohn said my post was still "chumming" (I'm not even familiar with the term outside of fishing). At that point I had no more patience in trying to figure out the obscure rules of the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Around here you would be sitting on it for a little bit trying to get $100 out of it. If you are going to part it out probably the only parts that have value and relatively easy to ship would be knobs, blade guard, anti kickback paws, bearings, motor, switch, rip and miter scale.
    Cary, Thanks for the list. I will salvage the switch, and scales too.

The turret head Delta's are a lot more desirable than the dime a dozen plastic Craftsmans. Locally there's one listed for $500, $455, and $275. I'm surprised the $275 has been listed for a couple weeks.