Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show me your turning tool storage setups

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Show me your turning tool storage setups

The Laguna 18-36 should be here tomorrow. Since I am getting into this area head first and will soon need a system to store all the tools etc.Some ideas will be helpful.I saw someone use the space under the bed for storing tools - cant find the thread anymore. Anyway... thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

tool storage

Lathe tools 2.jpg

I went inexpensive using PVC and MDF on top of a tool cabinet. Bottom of PVC is open so not to trap shavings in PVC. Their are a million ways to do it. Please post photos when you find yours.

Chris, the racks shown in the PDF were those of Jeff and Dan - mine are not "furniture grade", but just as functional. They are quick to build and one can make two or three in just about the same amount of time it takes to build one.

Left click my name for homepage link.

It may have been the thread I posted reviewing the Revo 1836 where you saw the under bed storage, but in any event, I have attached a pic for you. The larger "box" under the drawers is a ballast box containing four 60# bags of sand. The tool racks I have are based on a design used by some earlier creekers and a PDF is attached on their construction. Easy to make out of scrap stock and functional. The plastic bins are where I store sandpaper - both discs and sheet stock that I have cut into 12 pieces per sheet. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. As I may have commented before - great choice on a lathe and you are going to really enjoy it. In the pic of the lathe, you will notice I have the headstock moved to the end of the lathe. I just finished a 24" offset platter using the bed extension accessory - so glad I got that!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Kind of rudimentary, but was simple enough that I could do it!

lathe tools.jpg

image.jpgVery simple and inexpensive----works very well for me.

I've migrated to the rolling tool chest approach. Grinder op top with tools around the sides.

img_20170625_183754.jpg

I use a rolling tool cart that has a flip up lid. On the under side of the lid, I bolted two horizontal magnetic strip tool holders. When I am using the lathe, the lid is open and I put the tools I am using on the magnetic strips. Holds them vertical. No banging the tips into other tools or pvc cubbies, etc. The tools I use the most are right there in plain view. I can roll the cart right up to where I am working so the tools are less than an arms length away. No looking down, reaching across or bending over. The other drawers in the cart hold chucks, abrasives, face plates, friction polish, CA glue, pencils and screws etc. added a rack on the side for paper towels. The bottom shelf holds small turning stock. My drill press and grinder are on another rolling stand. there is a guy here that buys and sells radial arm saw parts. he strips the saws for parts and gets $10 per for the stands. So I took a stand and bolted a plywood top and then fastened the drill press and grinder to that. Everything in my shop is on casters. makes it easier to move to clean up.

Ashwini, pics of the ballast box wouldn’t show much. It is nothing more than two 2x12s sitting in the slots cast in the legs, with the ends of the box being sections of the 2x12 cutoffs. Apply ledger strips to hold a plywood bottom, put in four bags of sand and install a plywood top. Pretty basic stuff. I just used some cheap leftover black paint to make it blend with the lathe. The drawer section is a separate unit that sits on top of the box and screwed to the top of the box with a couple screws to keep it from shifting.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    It may have been the thread I posted reviewing the Revo 1836 where you saw the under bed storage, but in any event, I have attached a pic for you. The larger "box" under the drawers is a ballast box containing four 60# bags of sand. The tool racks I have are based on a design used by some earlier creekers and a PDF is attached on their construction. Easy to make out of scrap stock and functional. The plastic bins are where I store sandpaper - both discs and sheet stock that I have cut into 12 pieces per sheet. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. As I may have commented before - great choice on a lathe and you are going to really enjoy it. In the pic of the lathe, you will notice I have the headstock moved to the end of the lathe. I just finished a 24" offset platter using the bed extension accessory - so glad I got that!!
    That's nice enough to mass produce! It looks like not only a tool holder, but a tool display, and it's just nice to have things looking so good.

John, Thanks for your review, one of the pivotal pieces of my decision making to get this lathe. Laguna should probably pay u a royalty; I know a few other folks bought this lathe after reading your piece.If u dont mind, send me another pic or two with a close up shot of the sand ballast setup and the drawer above that.I recently took a weekend class at NBSS for bowl turning; it was a blast - they let us use Doug Thompson's tools and powermatic lathes.I cant wait to start turning on the Laguna.

Don't forget that "tools" are more than gouges, skews, and scrapers! Those actually take less space for me than all the other things I use when turning (and I have a lot of tools with handles!).

My primary lathe space is configured so everything I commonly use is with arm's reach or withing about three steps. I have tools on the wall behind the lathe, on a side wall, in a cabinet with drawers with a shelf and a mechanic's toolbox on top for small things, and in drawers and shelves and another tool rack in a workbench just behind where I stand. Finishes and small supplies on shelves and a tall cabinet another three steps from the lathe. Drill press, bandsaw, and sharpening also close to the two lathes. There are also high shelves around the entire turning alcove.

I don't have pictures of the cabinets and workbench storage but this shows the primary tools behind and to the right at my main lathe and you might see a bit of some of the cabinets in the last photo:

lathe_PM2_Jan17_IMG_5751.jpg lathe_PM_cu2_IMG_5751.jpg WV_boys_IMG_20170319_154641_356.jpg

I really like putting my most-used handled tools horizontally (and within easy reach) -- it makes them easy to see. I keep all the skews together, etc. I slipped short lengths of plastic tubing on deck screws in plywood for supports. (easy to adjust)

JKJ

My turning tools are on a wall behind my lathe, about 5' between the wall and lathe. Below is a small section of peg board to hang other turning "things". Under the lathe (above 280# sand ballast) are pull out shelves (no sides, fronts or backs) that have been drilled to make the chucks, centers etc., captive. I have a nice area below the ways to lay tools. Totally happy with this arrangement.

IMG_0992.JPG IMG_0990.jpg
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Here is my little Turning Corner of my shop. Turning tools are to my right side so I can reach them without leaning in over a potentially turning work piece. The lathe accessories are in front of me within easy reach and also behind the door under the lathe. Very functional and my favourite space, maybe in the whole world.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is a Husky from HD for $120.00. I store my tools in the drawers as well as my chuck and sanding supplies. I also made a sharpening station from the crate of my Griz G0766. On the Husky I left the wheels and handle off, not sure how much room you have under the Laguna but it fits perfect under my Griz.

IMG_0346.jpgIMG_0479 (Copy).JPG
    Last edited by Robert Willing; 12-06-2017 at 11:16 PM.