Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Table saw safety reminder

<p>
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    . Statistics don&#39;t lie in this case: 1 tablesaw injury every 9 minutes. Oh yes, someone would sure share something like &quot;I know a guy who smoked for 50 years and did not die from lung cancer.&quot; Would you be as lucky as that guy, if you were considering whether or not to smoke? When it comes to safety, I don&#39;t rely on luck. Simon
    Simon, thanks for the figures Can you back this up, or offer more informatin on this, like are those stats for the USA only ? Is it every nine minutes from 8 to 6, or whenever you guys finish up in the evening. On a YT video (this old house) it mentions at the start, that 65.000 people a year injure themselves on the TS, Does those figures seem right with your stats? Any more info would be much appreicated as theres so much disrespect for these machines saftey wise. I want to get rid of that attitude if anyone who comes by, and thinking of getting a TS without ... Owning a hand plane, and reading up and watching (good)videos on use that will take at least 3 hours to watch. Thank you Tom</p>

2. Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    <p>
    Simon, thanks for the figures Can you back this up, or offer more informatin on this, like are those stats for the USA only ? Is it every nine minutes from 8 to 6, or whenever you guys finish up in the evening. On a YT video (this old house) it mentions at the start, that 65.000 people a year injure themselves on the TS, Does those figures seem right with your stats? Any more info would be much appreicated as theres so much disrespect for these machines saftey wise. I want to get rid of that attitude if anyone who comes by, and thinking of getting a TS without ... Owning a hand plane, and reading up and watching (good)videos on use that will take at least 3 hours to watch. Thank you Tom</p>
    No idea where he got his figures, but I came up with this one which might help.

https://www.wwgoa.com/article/shop-a...orking-safety/

Thanks Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    Simon, thanks for the figures Can you back this up, or offer more informatin on this, like are those stats for the USA only ? Tom
    As Twain popularzied the phrase: &quot;Lies, damned lies, and statistics.&quot;
    Each one of us can only trust the statistics we believe in. Mine came from the figure SawStop quotes from US Consumer Products Safety Commission. You can find it in the color SawStop brochure on the back page. It also quotes from the same source &quot;10 table saw amputations every day.&quot;
    Simon

5. Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    As Twain popularzied the phrase: "Lies, damned lies, and statistics."
    Each one of us can only trust the statistics we believe in. Mine came from the figure SawStop quotes from US Consumer Products Safety Commission. You can find it in the color SawStop brochure on the back page. It also quotes from the same source "10 table saw amputations every day."
    Simon
    Then again, they stand to benefit from bumping up the figures a little, so whatever they say is a bit suspect to begin with.

CPSC does in fact have a detailed report on stationary saw accidents. Even details on cuts vs kickbacks, etc. But then again, to paraphrase Blazing Saddles, "Facts, facts. We don't need no stinking facts!"
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

<p>
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Then again, they stand to benefit from bumping up the figures a little, so whatever they say is a bit suspect to begin with.
    As far as I know, no statisticians, authorities, academics or officials from the Commission have challenged SawStop on that. But as you pointed out, there is no harm in not beliving everything a vendor says, even if it is from a reputable business. The fact, of course, remains that table saw injuries happen a lot and those who really care about their safety will value safe practices over convenience (and in my case the money spent on the SawStop). Simon</p>
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 12-20-2017 at 6:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I'd love to see video's of you guys who seem to have all the answers in action. That would be much more educational for those of us who have been doing things a certain way forever than having to see and hear accident footage. Please post some so we can watch and learn.
    Why not go to Youtube right now and watch some of the hundreds of videos produced by knowledgeable people? By "knowledgeable people," I don't mean pride-blinded old-timers who think beating the odds up until today makes them safety experts.

It's amazing to see forum members speaking out AGAINST accepted safety measures. And why do they speak out? Because it's important to save two seconds here and there. Oh, the work, lifting that three-pound table saw guard. Oh, the agony!

This whole spectacle is absurd. A guy nearly cuts several fingers off doing something everyone knows is stupid, then he does absolutely nothing to learn about safety, and then he posts a video sharing his wisdom with the rest of the world...with his hand still splinted up. It's like Ted Kennedy giving driving lessons.

It reminds me of those scam emails advertising Oprah's diet secrets. Hello? The woman weighs 300 pounds! I'd rather have Angelina Jolie's diet secrets.

I have a buddy who rode motorcycles when he was young. He wants to ride my bikes. I told him no one gets on them without taking the MSF safety and proficiency course. He said he knew everything because he had ridden for years. I asked him a simple question which a lot of uneducated riders can't answer. How do you turn a motorcycle correctly? He got it wrong. He had no idea! There are some things you can't learn from experience. It's a very treacherous teacher.

I study up on safety every time I get into something new, and I still have scares and little accidents because I don't know enough. I'll take all the safety information I can get.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    Why not go to Youtube right now and watch some of the hundreds of videos produced by knowledgeable people? By "knowledgeable people," I don't mean pride-blinded old-timers who think beating the odds up until today makes them safety experts.

It's amazing to see forum members speaking out AGAINST accepted safety measures. And why do they speak out? Because it's important to save two seconds here and there. Oh, the work, lifting that three-pound table saw guard. Oh, the agony!

This whole spectacle is absurd. A guy nearly cuts several fingers off doing something everyone knows is stupid, then he does absolutely nothing to learn about safety, and then he posts a video sharing his wisdom with the rest of the world...with his hand still splinted up. It's like Ted Kennedy giving driving lessons.

It reminds me of those scam emails advertising Oprah's diet secrets. Hello? The woman weighs 300 pounds! I'd rather have Angelina Jolie's diet secrets.

I have a buddy who rode motorcycles when he was young. He wants to ride my bikes. I told him no one gets on them without taking the MSF safety and proficiency course. He said he knew everything because he had ridden for years. I asked him a simple question which a lot of uneducated riders can't answer. How do you turn a motorcycle correctly? He got it wrong. He had no idea! There are some things you can't learn from experience. It's a very treacherous teacher.

I study up on safety every time I get into something new, and I still have scares and little accidents because I don't know enough. I'll take all the safety information I can get.
    The message I was stating was that I wanted to see YOUR video not one of the 1000's of you tube videos. I wanted to have the experts look for faults in your approach to table saw safety. Sort of a 'glass houses' type of thing if you catch my drift. Point being, anyone here can pontificate about how some other idiot does things but they can't accept the fact they themselves might also be an idiot. God knows I don't want to see someone get hurt so maybe its best you don't make a video for us.

As far as the motorcycle is concerned, you need to be far more detailed in your question. How you turn a motorcycle depends on a whole lot of factors including road conditions, speed, type of motorcycle, where you are turning to and from, is a turn or just a weave, etc, etc. Similarly, cutting with a tablesaw is situational. There is no one correct answer.

Why would you want my safety video when you can go to Youtube or buy DVD's and watch experts?

Standing up for safety isn't "pontificating," except to people who think all advice is insulting. Good free advice is a precious gift. Isn't the guy with the splint "pontificating," by your definition? He's talking about safety, too, only the things he says are wrong and dangerous.

As for there being many ways to turn a motorcycle...it looks like you don't know the answer, either. You haven't taken the course.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

I think this thread has run its course.

Love it or hate it, may we all stay safe.