Thread: Love my CBN wheels

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David Gilbert View Post
    I love my two CBN wheels (80 & 180). My question is which one should I buy next? For me the choice is between 350 and 600. I am planning on using this for my bowl and spindle gouges. I attended a couple of very interesting workshops with Tom Wirsing and he had all of these.
    I have 80, 220, 600 on bench grinders and use a 1200 on the Tormek. Mine are all from Rizza but I haven't tried the cheap wheels.

I generally sharpen my skews on the 600 grinder then take them to a leather honing wheel. I sharpen my spindle and bowl gouges on the 1200 grit then hone. I sharpen the negative rake scrapers on the 600 also, remove the grinding burr and raise a burr with a burnishing rod, usually use the 220 for other scrapers. I use the 80 grit only for shaping/reshaping tools. Note: I mostly turn dry wood - if I turned green I might sharpen differently.

Unless going for a finer wheel some day you might consider the 600 instead of the 350.

JKJ

I added a 360 grit after the 180 grit. Didn't see much of a difference, so it sucks to have sunk that money for little gain.
    The much more experienced turners' (Reed and John) experience with the higher grits seems to be the way to go.
    Scott

If you're happy with your 80/180 pairing I'd stick with them and spend your money elsewhere! You'll notice how folks in this thread mention how they hand-hone their tools in between trips to the grinder. If you practice that it really doesn't matter what grit your fine wheel is. I have a Rizza 80/220 combo and am very happy with them. I just wish I had the wider Mega Square wheels; a sharp corner would be more useful to me than the radius on the 4-in-1.

Thanks for your responses. I have 80 and 180 wheels from D-way Tools. They don't have the radius edges (a good thing in my mind) but are steel and weigh about 7 pounds each. I think they contributed to my Woodcraft 1/2 Hp grinder's death (not a good thing). I replaced it with a 1 Hp Rikon grinder from Woodturner Wonders and am happy with it (a good thing). Also, I don't hone any of my tools.

Right now my inclination is to buy a 600 grit wheel. I'm just not sure of the source and design. I'm still looking for opinions about the $99 wheels from Ken Rizza.

Cheers,
    David

I just purchased the new $99 wheel from Ken with the aluminum center. Should be here on Saturday, so I'm hoping to get some experiences with it over the weekend.

For reasons unknown, I never got good results from hand honing. The 600 and 1000 grit wheels took care of that. What little honing I do now is in the Tormek leather wheel. Most of the time it is the skew chisel as the fine CBN wheels leave a burr. I have been playing with honing the bevel and top of my shear scrapers and then burnishing a burr. Not sure if it makes a huge difference compared to grinding and then burnishing the grinder burr off...

robo hippy

Phil,

I'll be calling later next week.

Cheers,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters View Post
    ... You'll notice how folks in this thread mention how they hand-hone their tools in between trips to the grinder. If you practice that it really doesn't matter what grit your fine wheel is. I have a Rizza 80/220 combo and am very happy with them. I just wish I had the wider Mega Square wheels; a sharp corner would be more useful to me than the radius on the 4-in-1.
    After using them I'd hate to be without the finer wheels. I use an extra fine diamond hone several times between sharpening but I fine each time gives me diminishing returns since honing creates a flat and changes the geometry a bit. My spindle gouges and skews, for example, work better right off the grinder, and after being lightly hand honed or honed/polished. I use the Tormek leather wheel with their compound, a leather strop, or for the skews, a piece of resawn MDF with polishing compound smeared on it. This doesn't removed metal like a diamond hone but basically takes off any grinder burr and polishes the edge. I also hone the inside of the flute of gouges with either the Tormek profiled leather wheel, a curved ceramic slip stone, or a tapered extra fine diamond hone.

For a while I had a 350 grit wheel too but it was too close to the 220 to make it worth keeping. The 600 grit gives me a much better edge than the 220. The 1200 gives a better edge than the 600. As mentioned, I mostly turn dry wood, often hard exotics. The more an edge is like a polished razor the less sanding needed (assuming I'm guiding the gouge carefully!)

I also like the square cornered CBN wheels instead of the radiused. The first one I bought was radiused and I didn't keep it. The radiused edges reduce the width of the useful flat part of the wheel significantly. I understand the reason for the radiused design was to sharpen the small HSS bits used in hollowing cutters mounted in long handles - lets you sharpen curved sides without having to swing the handle in a wide arc.

I also like the wheels with 1" of flat grid down each side. I use this and the 90-deg corners mostly for grinding/sharpening special scrapers.

JKJ