I'm interested in hearing opinions about the most versatile plunge router to have around the shop for woodworking, but also for taking on jobs sites for finish carpentry tasks (pattern routing, flush cut trimming, mortises, rabbets, grooves, etc for custom doors, any odd-ball finish type tasks you can think of where a plunge router may be used on a jobsite.)

I think a 1/2" collet capacity is a must. I have a Dewalt DW611 with the plunge kit, which would be the perfect all around router, but it's only 1/4" collet. I also have a PC690 with a plunge kit, but I need to buy or make a new round baseplate for it; the stock baseplate is off center (in relation to the bit) enough to mess up any sort of template jig (used "bumper style") accuracy. That was a frustrating discovery to find out the first time after wondering why my mortise/housing template jigs weren't coming out right....The 690 is a bit of a crude affair, but I do find it useful for a general purpose router where accuracy isn't absolutely critical.

I don't think a 3+ hp size is necessary, but may be misguided? They tend to be too heavy and bulky sometimes to be useful in certain applications.

To sum it up, I want to find a 1/2" collet plunge router that can handle pretty much anything I throw at as far as woodworking and finish carpentry, not be too heavy and bulky, and be designed well enough so that I don't get annoyed with using it often. New model or used model, doesn't matter to me. Effective dust collection options would be a plus, but not having it isn't a deal breaker.

Fire away, gents.