Thread: How often should I wash my outdoor dog?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How often should I wash my outdoor dog?

The dog in question is an American Foxhound, age two. She has a short coat of fur and seems to have a lot of oil in it. My grand daughter has been washing her every week or two for the past few months. After just a few days, when you pet her you need to wash your hands, and my wife is complaining about it. I am concerned that washing her may cause skin problems. My son has two pugs, and they got some skin disorder when washed too often.

Meet my shop dog, Pepper Oni Potter. She loves the shop and even the compressor doesn't scare her.

20161129_154538.jpg
    20161129_154439.jpg

She is always outdoors, along with a six year old (?) rescue yellow lab with a super thick coat. This dog has never been washed and her coat is beautiful and soft, and you don't need to wash your hands. My previous dog, a short haired black lab lived 16 years outside without a wash job, and was just fine, not oily.

Obviously this is a new problem for me. I would like to keep her clean, but don't want to cause her problems. I just discovered a self serve dog washing place that I could take her nearby. There I could wash her standing up, as it hurts me to be down on all fours.

So, is this oily skin normal in some dogs, and how often is safe to wash her.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 12-05-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.