Thread: Turning Eastern Ironwood - any tips?

Turning Eastern Ironwood - any tips?

I have a limb of Eastern Ironwood aka Hop Hornbeam that I want to turn into a mallet head for a friend for Christmas. It's been drying for 6 years, about 3" Diameter. Tips, Tools, Finish? Cherry Handle I think. Any good mallet or handle patterns?

Before I was a wood turner, I used to cut down ironwood for firewood. I recall that it was very dense and very hard to hand split. So, it is probably a great choice for the mallot. For patterns to follow, I suggest that you do a google search and when you get to the results page, select "images". There are lots to follow.

My only question is whether the cherry is going to be "up for the job". A more typical handle for things that is intended to take an impact would be ash, hickory or maple (like what baseball bats and axe handles are made from ?).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berklich View Post
    I have a limb of Eastern Ironwood aka Hop Hornbeam that I want to turn into a mallet head for a friend for Christmas. It's been drying for 6 years, about 3" Diameter. Tips, Tools, Finish? Cherry Handle I think. Any good mallet or handle patterns?
    Do you know what the friend is going to use it for. I prefer a carver's mallet style for general shop use, one piece handle+head if there is enough wood.

I turn very hard woods with either Thompson gouges and skews or the Hunter Hercules or Osprey. I like an oil finish that soaks a bit into the wood rather than a film which probably won't last long. Or just finish the handle and leave the head unfinished.

JKJ

I've turned several pieces and didn't find it any harder to turn than any other hardwood. Use sharp tools and you shouldn't have any problems. The pieces I turned were really plain looking straight grained & looked a lot like hard maple.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Do you know what the friend is going to use it for. I prefer a carver's mallet style for general shop use, one piece handle+head if there is enough wood.

I turn very hard woods with either Thompson gouges and skews or the Hunter Hercules or Osprey. I like an oil finish that soaks a bit into the wood rather than a film which probably won't last long. Or just finish the handle and leave the head unfinished.

JKJ
    I doubt if he's ever going to actually use it. He saw the one I made in Elm mentioned that it would be nice have one. He doesn't carve and really isn't a woodworker. More of a mechanic :-) The Ironwood is from his 80 acre hunting tract up in Northern Michigan.

Maybe I'll make a carver's mallet for me though.