Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wire Size Help Please

I am always puzzled about the argument of the difficulty of putting #10 wire in a box. You just use bigger boxes, 4x4 instead of 2x4. I am pleased when I upgrade to larger 220V machines to remember that I already have #10 wire and not #12.

Years later the OP may decide he needs a bigger ac unit because his first one was undersized, a shade tree died or whatever. For that reason it is a good idea to oversize the wire just in case. As I get older the heat bothers me more but I do not think global warming will make much difference in my lifetime.

Yup, agree 100%
    Built guitars in my basement for 10 years, mistakes went in the wood stove, was rarely cold.

Best funny woodworker line: "My worst fear is when I die my wife will sell all my tools for what I told her I paid for them"

Since this is an AC unit consider the likely hood of brownouts in the middle of a heatwave. A brownout will cause increased amp draw and possibly overload marginal wire./breaker sizes. Talk of oil running out in 25-50 years and power supply may not be as stable as today especially if your part of the country has increased in population or industrial power demand.
    In California Oil companies are making decisions not to upgrade oil refineries because the type of crude they are designed around will be gone in measurable time frames. Cheaper just to patch them up for a while rather then install new improved more efficient units.
    Bill D