Please explain why this happened. I have a set of black lacquer shelves and supports. I’d started awhile back, but never got back to it til just now. I just do this for “fun” . I have too many “fun” projects accumulated.

My last coat of black lacquer developed blush. I am using lacquer in a spray can. It turned cold so I back-burnered the project. I ordered blush eliminator but it seemed like it was always either cold or rainy on the days I was home.

We’ve had a couple of days of warm temperatures, no wind, and low humidity. So, yesterday I set it up in the garage again. I kept all the pieces plus the can in the house til I was ready to run them out and spray them.

The blush eliminator worked beautifully on all the large flat surfaces. The shelves are now perfect.

One of the uprights had blush on an edge. But it’s a forward edge, and will be very visible so I really wanted to get rid of it.

I propped it up and sprayed the edge. But I must have had the can too close or used too much, because it got all crinkly / alligatored. I brought it in the house to dry inside under a lamp with an incandescent bulb to provide gentle heat.

This afternoon ( a full day later) I sanded it down gently: I went down to 320 grit. I did not get it totally smooth, there were still tiny pinpoint dimples left. I did not want to risk going through all the coats of black lacquer. I don’t have any more, and I’m not close to a store. Besides, spraying just the edge without getting over spray on the front surface would be almost impossible.

I thought I could use the blush eliminator to consolidate it and eliminate the sanding lines. This time I was careful to have the can further away and not to use too much. But it immediately got all crinkly again.

Sorry for the long story: but what did I do wrong?

Now, the weather will turn rainy tomorrow and become cold the day after. So I am basically out of time. I can’t spray in the house because lacquer smells too bad for my spouse.

How can I retrieve this? Thanks for your help.