Thread: What is your standard for "Thick" cabinet doors.

Blog Entries

What is your standard for "Thick" cabinet doors.

I've settled on 1.175" since it allows a 5/8" deep exterior door profile and enough room for a reverse raise using 1/2" panels. Its just enough to keep the backs flush.

What is everyone else using?

20171109_174820.jpg
    20171203_103616.jpg

I like the Freeborn entry door set for cabinet doors and end up with 1 1/16-1 1/8 rails and stiles. When doing raised panels I think the Freeborn cutters need more profile to balance the larger cope and stick so I have a different larger cutter for that. DaveDSCN3498.jpgDSCN3496.jpg

Jared - I like that approach. I've been doing 1" since the major suppliers can provide that thickness. For hinges are you able to operate that door with a "thick door" Euro hinge like the Blum 95° half-cranked thick door hinge (thinking face frame) [71B96X0]? And if so, what hinge cup boring distance do you use?
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Jared - I like that approach. I've been doing 1" since the major suppliers can provide that thickness. For hinges are you able to operate that door with a "thick door" Euro hinge like the Blum 95° half-cranked thick door hinge (thinking face frame) [71B96X0]? And if so, what hinge cup boring distance do you use?
    Not sure how I missed this.. only a year later on the reply.

Blum will work, but the reveal is way much for my taste.

I use Salice 200 series thick hinges (C2PBP99) They will clear the thicker doors and allow a 1.6mm reveal, vs 3mm for blum.
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 01-21-2019 at 9:19 PM.

Jared you are starting with 5/4 rough? what thickness is it these days? are you doing your face frames the same or thicker? I still have some older material here when it was cut 1 1/8 to 1 3/16 on 4/4 rough. Have heard some mills still cut it thicker as in the past.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Jared you are starting with 5/4 rough? what thickness is it these days? are you doing your face frames the same or thicker? I still have some older material here when it was cut 1 1/8 to 1 3/16 on 4/4 rough. Have heard some mills still cut it thicker as in the past.
    Yes 5/4, I can typically net 1" out of 4/4 from my supplier.

Face frames are the same thickness, but for beaded I'll recess the doors/drawers to the edge of the bead (approx .080") I just think it visually looks better.

yeah recess the same so door edge back on the bead works out to about the same as what you do. Ill ask here if any suppliers cutting as it was. thanks