Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
you just don’t want to think about some mundane task that is esentilly redundant and the same thing you did the day before and the day before and the day before that so in and son.
Unfortunately that IS the construction world. You build a home with 55 3/0-8/0 site finished interior doors and your going to be sanding, and finishing for months. Casing? Base? Crown? You walk into a large room that has 3 piece crown, and 4 piece base, and its an exercise in not blowing your head off. Mainly because when you walk out of that room... there are 20 more right behind it.

Its no different in the shop. A job with sub 200 cabinet doors. You will be seeing sticking in your sleep for years. The issue is making it fast, and still fun. There is no robot. Even the most arbitrary task requires skill. Heck.. one of my long time schpiels has been that it takes skill to run a damn shovel. You sit on an excavator looking down on a really amazing ground man, and wow... shovel skills are impressive.

Its all what you make of it has been what keeps me sane.

I cant count the times we would off load the paint truck with 200 gallons of prime and top coat. You knew you were going to go through every room 3 full times. All natural finish trim installed raw, stained in place, lacquer in place, and the next step was sand all plaster to 220, caulk all trim/plaster joints, prime, sand 220, base coat, sand 220, and fly on flawless second top coat. You were ready to quit before you started.

Shop work is no different to me. Standing there looking at a pile of stock that is all going to get chopped into base and case and you know every inch of it is going to have to be sanded, stained, base coat of clear, de-nib, finish coat, shrink wrapped, its like wheres my .44 mag lol.