Thread: RIKON 70-100 and NOVA G3 chuck

Blog Entries

RIKON 70-100 and NOVA G3 chuck

Hi,

I'm getting a Rikon 70-100 lathe for Christmas and I want to get a Nova 3G chuck for it, but I can't figure out which adaptor I'll need. If anyone knows please respond. Sorry if this is a basic question but I've googled it and can't find the answer. Thanks in advance.

According to amazon it has a 1x8 spindle. Forget the insert and get the nova G3 with a direct 1x8 thread. They sell them on amazon for $100. I have a bunch of them for my little delta and they are great.

If amazon links are allowed:

https://www.amazon.com/NOVA-48232-Re...=nova+g3+chuck

Blog Entries
    Thanks so much.

I would recommend getting a G3 with an insert. It may be slightly more expensive upfront, but if/when you move to a bigger lathe, all you need to do is change out the insert. That will give you a better connection than using a 1" > 1 1/4" adapter. I started with a G3 on a Jet mini. When I got larger lathes, I changed the insert. I still use the mini for demos. All I need to do is change the insert.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Henrickson View Post
    I would recommend getting a G3 with an insert. It may be slightly more expensive upfront, but if/when you move to a bigger lathe, all you need to do is change out the insert. That will give you a better connection than using a 1" > 1 1/4" adapter. I started with a G3 on a Jet mini. When I got larger lathes, I changed the insert. I still use the mini for demos. All I need to do is change the insert.
    I agree. I got the non-insert and although I still have the mini I almost always use the larger lathe. I have to use an adapter if I want to use the G3.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I would get the one with the insert. It is an additional cost for the insert but gives you much flexibility.

If you get one with the insert you can use it on any lathe. I have some G3 chucks and I put the right insert on it when I want to take one of my Jet mini lathes somewhere. A different insert lets me use it on my larger lathes.

If you buy this chuck for your current lathe you can simply get a new insert if you upgrade to a larger lathe some day, otherwise you will have to buy another chuck. The G3 chuck works well on large lathes too.

If you ever want to sell or give away a chuck, one with an insert can be used by anyone. One threaded for a particular size spindle might be harder to sell.

There are spindle adapters that will let you use almost any chuck on any lathe. I don't like them. Not only do they add length, a real problem for a lathe with a short bed, they put the chuck further from the headstock bearings resulting in reduced strength and perhaps reducing precision depending on how well it is machined.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    If you get one with the insert you can use it on any lathe. I have some G3 chucks and I put the right insert on it when I want to take one of my Jet mini lathes somewhere. A different insert lets me use it on my larger lathes.
    If you buy this chuck for your current lathe you can simply get a new insert if you upgrade to a larger lathe some day, otherwise you will have to buy another chuck. The G3 chuck works well on large lathes too.
    I regularly use a G3 on my American Beauty for turning small spindles. But, changing the insert, I also use it on my mini. It is also be useful to be able to change inserts if you are going to work on someone else's lathe. When I do a demo away from home, I can use my chucks and specific jaws on any lathe, just by changing the insert.

There are spindle adapters that will let you use almost any chuck on any lathe. I don't like them. Not only do they add length, a real problem for a lathe with a short bed, they put the chuck further from the headstock bearings resulting in reduced strength and perhaps reducing precision depending on how well it is machined.
    I agree. It may also introduce some vibration, especially if the work being turned is large/heavy/odd-shaped.

These chucks for the money are one of the best buys in woodturning, get one of each

Obviously I'm alone on this, but I would avoid the insert to start. For a first lathe and a first chuck, just getting started in this underworld of turning, get one that fits right without adding cost or additional runout.

If you get sucked into the vortex, then you'll have plenty of time for inserts and whatever else. Eventually, if the bug really bites you, you'll be in the market for a larger lathe. By that time, you'll have lots of options on how to use your original chuck. I actually prefer the spindle extension to an insert when using the G3 on my big lathe because it moves the piece away from the head stock and I can get behind the piece more easily. I've found runout on these spindle adapters (I have 3) to be minimal to non existent.

And who in their right mind would SELL a chuck?? (I'm looking at you, JKJ!) I suppose you sell off extra clamps, too! One can NEVER have enough chucks or clamps....

dismounting soapbox now.....

+1 on getting a chuck with an insert. As you tumble head over heels into the turning vortex, you will find that you need a chuck for each set of jaws. I have six lathes right now and have at least four chucks for each one. My lathes have different spindle threads. I have a Oneway 2436, a Robust Liberty, 2 Oneway 1224's, a Jet 1221 and a Jet 1220. I keep the Jet 1221 and one of the 1224's at my girlfriends house. She is a turner also and I like working in the garage that we have fitted out with a bandsaw, a drillpress and are working on a dust collection system for after Christmas. Enjoy.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Balzonia View Post
    ...And who in their right mind would SELL a chuck?? (I'm looking at you, JKJ!) I suppose you sell off extra clamps, too! One can NEVER have enough chucks or clamps....
    dismounting soapbox now.....
    Ha! Preaching to the choir! I have 16 chucks at the moment and would be more likely to get another than get rid of one. Obviously some people sell them since I bought some of mine used. (I have 5 lathes, three I bought used.)

All of my chucks have inserts except for for one direct thread Nova Titan with big jaws. It has 1-1/4"x8 threads. If I ever give up turning I'll send it to you (or to someone else if it won't fit your lathe.)

As Sir Bradshaw mentioned, there is a huge advantage of having a chuck for each jaw set. I go one further and have at least two chucks with duplicates of each of my most-used jaws - I do that with 25mm, 35mm, 45mm, and 50mm jaws. Sometimes I'll have several different projects or even pieces of the same project mounted at the same time. I do this when fitting the lids to Beads of Courage boxes.

JKJ

As to your question. Nova has two inserts for 1" x 8 tpi spindles.
    Insert D the hex is not tapped for a set screw to lock it to the spindle for reverse. IDNS
    Insert X does have the set screw. IXNS
    https://www.teknatool.com/product/no...sertsadaptors/
    Amazon has both; the D for16.99 and the X for 19.99 (This was just a quick look)
    There must be a few lathe brands which do not have an area as descibed. Others on here may know but I have never heard of the problem with a Rikon (or any brand).
    Quote from info on insert X: "This is only to be used on lathes with a register behind the spindle to lock the set screw to."
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    These chucks for the money are one of the best buys in woodturning, get one of each
    There you go!