Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shop hygiene

My late brother Harry was always the neat son, and I was the slob, growing up. (He became a CPA, of course!)

My shop reflects that. I usually clean up my lathe shed every so often with a leaf blower, which works wonderfully. (I make it a point to keep lightweight items in a tool box. Heavy stuff, like my big chuck or face plates, can weather the leaf blower storm without a wobble.)

But even after a 'clean-up,' I wouldn't dare try to apply finishes in the shop. So I have a folding table that I use at home, to do that sort of thing. Usually on the screen porch or the boathouse; she doesn't like smelling solvents evaporating. Good to live in the South, for that.

Robert

When I can't find tools anymore I know it's time to clean up.

Robert,
    My favorite brother in law has been known to spring clean pretty much his whole house with a leaf blower. Put the small stuff in boxes and let-r-rip!

I clean up around my lathe(s) when I'm done for the day. My tools always get put away if I'm not using them. My planer & ts is where the biggest mess is usually at. I try to keep it cleaned up around there too. If I don't, my shop foreman thinks it's great fun to roll around in the shavings & go to the dog bed where my greeter is sleepin' & shake off the shavings on him, go back & do it again!

Before I do any finishing, bcause I to have a small shop, I clean up the shop the best I can. Vacuum the carpet. Use the air hose & blow every thing off around the project table. Lights, ceiling, table, other equipment close to the table, & call it good. I've never had any trouble.

I've got 5 scroll saws, 2 lathes & a drill press to work around that are fairly close to my table. So dust is an issue. But cleanin' the way I do, I don't have any dust trouble in my finish. Sometimes I even cover my scroll saws & lathes bcause I use an air sprayer to do my stainin' & finish work.
    Last edited by Brad Barnhart; 12-05-2017 at 2:31 AM.
    Sawdust703

This time of the year, with the weather getting cold, I'm more motivated to clean up under the lathe. Shavings make great rodent nests.
    RD

I used to clean the shop and the living room with a leaf blower--until my bride came home early one day!!

I enjoy cleaning my shop. Afterward I can't wait to mess it up again. Very inspirational.