Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tormek SE-77 Jig

I've used the tool rest to do this for so long, I hadn't even paid attention to new Tormek jigs. I might have to pick one of these up.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

i mostly use the SE-77 for chisels and block plane blades which makes the SE-77 less useful than the old style. I may be missing something but the SE-77 doesn't have a reliable way to align the jig square to the wheel. playing with the knobs is finicky for me since they are upside-down when i am making the adjustments. i find it faster to lock the blade in and make a test grind, then manually adjust square to the wheel. it's almost like it's better to have a SE-76 for straight blades and the SE-77 dedicated for cambers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill St Amant View Post
    i mostly use the SE-77 for chisels and block plane blades which makes the SE-77 less useful than the old style. I may be missing something but the SE-77 doesn't have a reliable way to align the jig square to the wheel. playing with the knobs is finicky for me since they are upside-down when i am making the adjustments. i find it faster to lock the blade in and make a test grind, then manually adjust square to the wheel. it's almost like it's better to have a SE-76 for straight blades and the SE-77 dedicated for cambers.
    Bill,

That is what I do when a cutter needs grinding.

ken

The SE-77 has a fence on the right side to register the blade square to the universal support, and therefore square to the wheel. Study the user manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    The SE-77 has a fence on the right side to register the blade square to the universal support, and therefore square to the wheel. Study the user manual.
    Bob,

You are correct about the fence but the SE-77 also has adjustment of the angle of presentation that can be fiddly to adjust. The Se-77 is very good for cambered cutters and/or if your Tormek mounts are not square to the wheel but the Se-76 is better for straight cutters unless there is a problem with your system.

I have read the user manual and I use both jigs for what they are best for.

ken

If I didn't already have the cambers on all my planes like I want them, I'd buy one.