Thread: 80mm hose adapters

Blog Entries

80mm hose adapters

Thought I'd share this with the gang here. I bought a Felder FD250 machine recently and have been working toward setting it up. The dust port measures 3.160" OD which equates to about 80mm.

I put a run of duct together at the beginning of the year assuming I would adding a machine at the one location and so I put a fitting in for 5" hose. I presumed it would be a planer, but instead it is this Felder machine. I wanted to stick with 5" hose.

I find class 200 series PVC pipe, ID is 3.166" OD 3.5". I plan to cut this and use it as a bushing.

I then found a water pipe reducer nominal size 3" to nominal size 4". Actual size is 5" OD on the large end and 3.516" ID on the small size.

SO...hopefully this works out If it does I will post a photo.

I noticed a few threads on this with no reasonably solution presented outside of reducing at the duct. I don't have the room to do so, and if I did I wasn't interested to pay $85 + shipping for a simple reducer.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I would increase the flange at the machine to the 5".
    I have made transition pieces from PVC pipe. Easy enough to cut a wedge from end to end. Just have to remove the correct amount of circumference from each end. then heat it up evenly and roll it in to a cone.
    Bill

Blog Entries
    Thanks Bill, that is something to consider! I had wanted to avoid drilling into the cabinet, but that may end up the easier solution in cases like this.

Brian, can you provide a photo of the port on this boring machine? I'm thinking that if things are setup fortuitously, Bill's suggestion might be doable without drilling by just putting a 5" or 120mm metal flange/port OVER the existing port, sealing it to the cabinet and then connecting a 5" drop with a rubber Fernco adapter. Yes, the flow would be slightly restricted because the "actual" port is still 3.whatever inches, but it would be a clean "normalized" setup.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I can, the port turns down so it may be or not be doable. Sounds like my approach may be a bit ‘backyard mechanic’ based on both of your replies but I expect it will look like one reducer fitting attached. I actually think it will work better than a flange over a flange but I can appreciate the better aesthetics of the metal flange.

Yes, if it turns down then it complicates just slapping a larger flanged port over it... That wouldn't be good for air flow. If you know anyone who works with sheet metal and has the tools, they could likely "roll" you a fitting that adapts the port to the hose you want to use. It's basically a math problem. (don't ask me to solve it, however. )
    --

It is worth spending Some time looking at all the fernco type fittings. They make adapters to connenct different sizes and types of sewer pipe together. I did not know that CI and clay pipe are different outer size. plastics, orangeburg etc etc.
    Bill

https://www.fernco.com/products/flex...cket-couplings

is this your machine?
    https://www.felder-group.com/fg-en/p...er-fd-250.html

If so looks like the dust port is a plastic piece which could be easily removed and a flange put in its place. maybe the flange is attached to a piece of plywood that covers the square hole in the base.
    some thing like a toilet flange would be easy to adapt.

Blog Entries
    That’s the machine, it’s actually ducted inside the machine directly to where the chips happen.

What I planned should work out and won’t look bad. It appears like one fitting that flairs from the original size to 5” and does do rapidly (over 2-3”).

I was thinking the same thing as Bill once I saw the photos at the web site. Is that plastic port actually melded to whatever is inside or a separate piece? You seem to indicate that it may be all one piece, but I'm not fully sure that's what you're saying.

That said, if it's one piece, you could easily trim off the exposed portion and bolt a larger hood directly to the side of the machine to support your 5" hose connection. That's probably what I would do. It would be clean looking and even with the restriction that comes from smaller duct inside, would still perform well, IMHO.
    --

Blog Entries
    Thank you both!

Heat the plastic port on the machine with a plumbers torch. When soft but not melting stuff in the 4” end of a 4-5” $3 adapter from woodcraft rockler yada yada.

I think Felder also sells such metric to imperial adapters for short money. When I purchased my combo machine they gave me one.

The melt thing works easy peasy...

Blog Entries
    Thanks Patrick, great idea!

Blog Entries
    80mm to 5”:

The phase converter motor is moving to the floor ASAP, so don’t be alarmed.

Does the job!!
    --