Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Box From Firewood

Thanks again Jim. Appreciate the “plug” tip, and the tip about only adjusting the pins, not the tails when adjusting the fit (when doing tails first). Never thought about that. Makes perfect sense. In the past, I’ve meddled with both, and it rarely turned out well. Great tip!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Thanks again Jim. Appreciate the “plug” tip, and the tip about only adjusting the pins, not the tails when adjusting the fit (when doing tails first). Never thought about that. Makes perfect sense. In the past, I’ve meddled with both, and it rarely turned out well. Great tip!
    You are welcome Phil and thanks for the kind words. Adjusting only one side for fit was one of the things that improved my dovetails significantly. After making dovetails for a while all these little things sort of blend together. If a lot are done in succession they start to become automatic. That is part of my reason for trying to identify those things that help to produce better dovetails and document them. My hope was for others to chime in with any tips they have found helpful.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    You don't have to use it to buy it. At the right time of year the price drops down to less than $10 a yard. My short bed pick up truck can hold about 3 yards. Sometimes there are pieces longer than the typical foot long pieces.

jtk
    In my area it usually runs $10 - $20 for a stack of 15 - 20 pieces. Or at least it did the also time I bought any. They also quarter every log so that you burn it up faster. Though that may be a good thing as winter in Florida is sometimes measured in hours instead of months or days.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall K Harrison View Post
    In my area it usually runs $10 - $20 for a stack of 15 - 20 pieces. Or at least it did the also time I bought any. They also quarter every log so that you burn it up faster. Though that may be a good thing as winter in Florida is sometimes measured in hours instead of months or days.
    There are a lot of lumber mills in my area. The off cuts from logs and milled lumber get pretty cheap during the height of summer.

Recently we have had a lot of trees removed and sold to the mills. So yesterday we went to a woodworkers candy store. (Crosscut Lumber in Portland) It was difficult to not buy a lot of wood that would not get used. Ended up just buying a couple small pieces of ebony and 10 BF of QS red oak.

Up here we measure winter by how many cords of wood one burns. Before he moved my neighbor would have his wood stove going all the time and would burn about 9 cords. For my wife and me we do not care for our house to be "toasty" so we usually burn about a cord. We use electric heat at times, especially if we will be leaving for town or just want to get the house warm to take a shower. Our neighbor used only their wood stove for heat.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-14-2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Up here we measure winter... . wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Thanks for posting Jim.....I'm learning from your adventure
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Thanks for posting Jim.....I'm learning from your adventure
    Great Jerry if another person besides me learns, then my post was a success.

jtk