Thread: Older Performax Drum Sander

Older Performax Drum Sander

I'm negotiating with the seller of an unused 1991 performax 25 in wide double drum sander. I know this machine is the predecessor of the Supermax drum sander without some important improvements. If anyone has this machine I would appreciate your opinion of how it performs, ease of paper change, dust collection, maintenance issues, etc. Thanks in advance. Jeff

I have a single drum machine from that era, bought it new out of the US at the time. I made my own shroud and dust collection improved. Shy of consumables like he feed belt the machine has paid for itself several times in my shop with an absolute minimum of fuss.

I have a newer version of the fixed end 25" Supermax. Single drum. Well made and works great within expectations. 1.75 hp means light passes. Best to find out hp for the two drums. Make sure your version has SandSmart to control feed belt speed vs. drum load. If it doesn't have it you can buy one from Performax and easily install. Wouldn't want to use it without the SandSmart. Paper change is easy. I have the clip retainer version not velcro. Single dust port on top cover--2hp cyclone controls dust well. I bought very lightly used and included in/outfeed ext.--I like them, and locking castors--easy mobility. Paper--just bought 3 rolls from Industrial Abrasives-- 3" x 52yds @ $60./roll--12 wraps /roll. No maintainance issues or mechanical problem in 8 yrs of light use. I think it is a well made machine and works great for my hobby projects but if you want higher(faster??) performance make sure the hp is 3+. The two drum version may have that and I am guessing the other mechanicals are the same. Good luck.

I have the machine in storage. I figure about 800-1000 is the value. The motor, while listed at 5 hp is really about 3. Otherwise it is basically the same as newer without the sand smart feature. I don't think sandsmart was that important. I had it on a 25x50 and you get a feel as to how much you can sand without engaging the sandsmart. I always felt that if the machine engaged the SS you could see it on the finish. 80-120 were my go to grits. Anything higher than 150 and it was too easy to burn the paper. When sanding glue ups I used poly glue as it sands easier and saves paper. I put a Wixey on mine and it helps. If the DC motor is good, go for it. Dave

Thanks for your perspectives. Chris- Were parts like the feed belt hard to locate? Do you remember where you purchased them? Dave- I suspect having the DRO makes the lack of the sandsmart easier to deal with. Would you agree?

Sand smart reduces the speed of the dc motor when current exceeds a limit. The dro helps to get close with the first pass. Once you have the first pass through, it gives you an idea what a 1/4 turn is as that is about the limit. You also want to re tighten the sandpaper after the first pass as it tends to stretch a little but only the first couple of passes. you want to be very careful to not overlap the seams as that burns the paper for sure. Feed belts can be ordered from supermax or just have one made by any belt supplier. Dave