Thread: Portable miter saw stand fence/wings?

Portable miter saw stand fence/wings?

Hello there,

Been using a Ridgid MSUV for my Makita LS1013 SCMS for years. Overall, been pretty happy with it. Only real gripes are that there is no flat wing or table between the saw deck and the roller stands on either end, and no place to locate any material stops for repeated cuts.

I'm at the point where I was about start on a portable (roll-around) miter saw station with folding wings (basically the one from FWW #209) and then I got to thinking (always dangerous) about whether just adding some extension wings to the existing stand would be a better option. They'd have to come off somewhat easily to allow the saw to remain portable for those once-in-a-blue-moon projects when the saw *does* need to go outside the shop... I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience and/or pics of home-built miter-saw wing/fence extensions for a portable miter saw stand? I've found some threads where people *talked* about it, but never any with pics from people who'd actually *done* it.

TIA,

Monte

Blog Entries
    My power miter saw is mounted on a wooden stand made of 1X12. The saw is at table saw height.

The sides of the stand extend up on the sides. I can attach wings to the saw and have as much length as I need. I simply attach 1X12 boards to the stand.

The 1X12 extension has a 1X12 leg that holds the 1X12 extension at the correct height. The extension board is attached to the "H" shape stand when needed.

You may also want to follow Julie's thread on the same subject here in General Woodworking:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...er-Saw-Station
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yup. Even posted in it

Started adding up all the 'hidden' costs that creep in to a project like that. That got me looking at something like the Fast Cap Best Fence system... might as well buy once and be done with it, right? Backing away from that particular cliff, I thought I'd look around for a more DIY version of the Best Fence (obviously not extruded aluminum though). So far, not seeing much out there.

We use a section from a 24' extension ladder. Support it on two saw horses, with saw on a movable platform that slides along ladder. Have a couple (right and left) supports, plus intermediate support when needed, that also slide on ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    We use a section from a 24' extension ladder. Support it on two saw horses, with saw on a movable platform that slides along ladder. Have a couple (right and left) supports, plus intermediate support when needed, that also slide on ladder.

Have any photos? Close-ups of how you constructed the movable platform would be even better. Maybe I can finally put one of my old ladders to use.