Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered a MM16 - what do i need to do when it arrives

I just took delivery on a new MM16 about 2 weeks ago. As others have pointed out the saw comes with no chord, you will need to supply a 10 ga. chord with a 30 amp twist lock plug. The required circuit is 30 amp/10 ga. wire.

Be prepared with a few friends to move this thing, it's heavy! Even after pulling off about 200 lbs. of crating wood you are still looking at over 500 lbs. Mine had to go down a flight of steps into my basement shop which was no small feat. Also have plenty of rags on hand- I think they dip these machines in Cosmoline before they crate them.

After you get it set in place be prepared to spend some time tuning it up. Mine needed a little adjustment here and there to get it true. I had to spend some time filing the bottom of the fence to get it square to the table. The factory throat plate is plastic and not very flat. I took mine to the belt sander to flatten it short term but when I have some extra time I'll replace the plate with one made from plywood.

Order your blades now, they will take a week or so to come in.

Overall a nice machine, you will be very happy with it.

i've had my mm16 for several years - +1 what everyone has said about connecting. i started with the euro guides - (which gummed up a lot) - then to carters (which i too found pretty tough to set up - too many fingers and too many tools) and then finally got some laguna ceramics - yes xpensive but i think the best support for big blades - at first they do throw sparks when the metal hits the ceramic but have never found that to be a problem.
    jerry
    jerry

All...thanks. This has been one of those tools that I’ve wanted for a long long time. The sale plus an upcoming project finally pushed me over the edge.

So I’ll still have a 14” delta which I’ll keep a 1/2” 3 tpi blade on. For the MM should I get a 1” carbide blade for resawing? For my project I’ll be resawing soft wood — 8” thick cypress.

But besides resawing are there any concerns with cutting for example 3/4” plywood. I’m still at the point in my woodworking career where I build more cabinets and furniture.

Also I know that witha carbide blade you need to put a lot of tension on the blade. I also assume that you need to release that tension at the end of each workday. How much do you need the back off of the tension in order to not stress the tires. I know some saws have a quick release but I don’t believe this one has one.

Last question. Is the mobility kit a separate optional item?

Contact Sam and he can provide you with a guide that covers blade choices. I bought 1/4, 1/2 for standard bandsaw work and a carbide 1" for resawing. I detension my blade after use and made a hang tag from some scrap plywood to remind me to retension before the next use. My my saw shipped with the mobility kit included.

Bob, my MM16 pretty much as a 1/2" 3 tpi blade on it full time at this point. I have other, narrower blades, but rarely use them for the things I personally tend to use the bandsaw for. If the smaller machine is staying in the shop, I'd personally put a 1/4" or 3/16" blade on it for general 'scrolling' and keep the larger machine setup for heavier work.

As to the carbide blade question...I had one years ago and it did indeed cut wonderfully. But it was darn expensive "tearful moment" when it suddenly got buggered and became unusable due to a stupid mistake I made during setup, leaving something loose that shouldn't have been loose. Re-sawing softwoods can easily be handled by a "regular" 3/4" or 1" blade and there will also be a thinner kerf. And these blades also work well for hardwoods, too. I'd only do the carbide again if I was getting into the situation that I was going to be doing a lot of re-sawing to justify the cost of the carbide tipped band, rather than general purpose work. But that's me...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congratulations Bob ... great saw. I have the factory Carters on my older Centauro and they work great. I have a smaller saw (the 14" Delta like you) and rarely swap out the blades on the big saw. The saw has a 1" Carbide resaw blade by Lennox, and am very careful with the blade. I too have stupidly (and expensively) damaged the carbide blades in the past. They work well for both hard and softwoods ... but occasionally need cleaning (mineral spirits works fine) if cutting sappy wood. Somewhere along the line someone taught me that for both safety and efficiency on the bandsaw, one should have 3 teeth in the wood at all times. The 3-tpi resaws would technically break that rule for 3/4" plywood, and I'd also expect they might leave a rough cut.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

What do you do when it arrives?

Duh....

https://media.giphy.com/media/3ornjX...onks/giphy.gif
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    What do you do when it arrives?

Duh....

https://media.giphy.com/media/3ornjX...onks/giphy.gif
    Or alternatively...

--

I will do both once it arrives and is in the shop in the vertical position

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    I will do both once it arrives and is in the shop in the vertical position
    Bob,

Please empty your inbox and send me a PM. I just received a Minimax machine myself and have some information.

Thanks!

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Adams; 11-30-2017 at 11:08 AM.

Will do. Didn’t know my inbox had much in it

Bob, I recently posted a thread in Woodworking Projects about building outfeed support for my MM16. I did so after watching a few videos recently where it was clear that having an extended table was useful. You may want to consider the same for your new saw...and it may affect where you specifically locate it in your shop for obvious reasons.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Adams View Post
    Bob,

Please empty your inbox and send me a PM. I just received a Minimax machine myself and have some information.

Thanks!

Joe
    Joe

Just got your message but your inbox is full too so I cannot respond

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    Joe

Just got your message but your inbox is full too so I cannot respond
    Sorry Bob. I've been busy and accidentally let my Contributor status lapse. That cuts your limit for stored messages dramatically. Everything is good to go now.

Apologies for my ignorance: who is selling the new MM 16 bandsaws today? I was under impression that minimax were out of business... Or was it Agazzani ?