Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered a MM16 - what do i need to do when it arrives

Thanks Jim. I checked HD here last week and they don't have 10/2 in rubber cord so i'll have to swing by a supply house. Never really used it so i appreciate the advice.
    Bob C

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    Thanks Jim. I checked HD here last week and they don't have 10/2 in rubber cord so i'll have to swing by a supply house. Never really used it so i appreciate the advice.
    Really? They didn't have it? Wow...the only trouble I've ever had getting it from HD was finding someone who could make the "merry-go-round" turn to get to the proper roll. LOL Check other home centers if you have any, but yea...an electrical supply house should have or at least be able to get it for you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. I figured so, but was "hoping against all hope".
    David

It arrived in great shape. Crate was in damaged and everything was shrink wrapped.

So I now have it in the shop and I have a couple questions.

1) is there something I need to do to the brake? I have no blade on the saw yet but the brake pedal is down and doesn’t move easily. Seems like I remember reading something that I need to do

2) inside the blue case there are 4 threaded posts that look like they are to be tightened with a Allen head wrench (3 wrenches r provided). Where do there’s go?

3) where does the ?johnson bar? Attach when I want to move the saw?

4) what is the black metal tool that hangs down in the picture used for?

Hmmm...I’ll need to post a picture when I’m. It on an iPhone

1) Sorry, can't help you there.

2) The 4 threaded posts are your leveling feet. You should see 4 holes in the corners of the base where those screw in.

3) To move the saw put the pointy end of the bar into the hole in the break pedal. Push down on the bar to lift up the front of the saw onto the wheels attached to the bar.

4) Is that black metal tool shaped like an L and attached by a chain to the table? If so, thats the pin the goes between the two table halves where you install the blade to keep that part of the table flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    It arrived in great shape. Crate was in damaged and everything was shrink wrapped.

So I now have it in the shop and I have a couple questions.

1) is there something I need to do to the brake? I have no blade on the saw yet but the brake pedal is down and doesn’t move easily. Seems like I remember reading something that I need to do

2) inside the blue case there are 4 threaded posts that look like they are to be tightened with a Allen head wrench (3 wrenches r provided). Where do there’s go?

3) where does the ?johnson bar? Attach when I want to move the saw?

4) what is the black metal tool that hangs down in the picture used for?

Hmmm...I’ll need to post a picture when I’m. It on an iPhone
    1. You have to bolt the brake pedal (the part that sticks out of the cabinet) to the brake arm inside the cabinet. There should be a bolt for this.

2. The four threaded posts should screw into the four holes in the base for leveling.

3. The Johnson Bar nose goes in the hole in the brake pedal and levers the saw up onto the wheels on the other (spine) side of the saw. If there aren't any wheels on the saw, they will need to be found and attached.

4. Black metal tool? Are you sure it's not the black plastic push stick. Need a picture.

I'm not in front of my saw now, but I remember something odd about the sticker they put next to the power junction box...strange English. How does your's read?

here's some pictures and i think you've cleared up most of the mystery.
    1. OK...i'll look inside the lower cabinet and figure that out.
    2. makes sense.
    3. ok..i see the hole in the pedal but i also see a hole to the right in the fame but that hole seemed to high. I saw concerned that lifting by the pedal would be too much weight on it.
    4. ok that makes sense too...the pin that connects the two tables.

the two plastic caps i assume cover the two bolt heads for the movable kit on the front of the saw?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob C

Don't MM supply an owners manual? Ther are plenty to download form the web if they didn't
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Don't MM supply an owners manual? Ther are plenty to download form the web if they didn't
    yes there was a manual -- it was about 20 pages stapled together -- but it didn't say anything about assembly of these items. I don't have it in front of me but it was more about using the machine but it really had little valuable info.

BTW the plastic caps are for the johnson bar.

OK, i just did a quick search for owner manual and apparently there's a nice one online (woodwrecker)...i just didn't get one w/my saw. Seems to answer all the questions (with pictures) that i posted.
    Bob C

Blog Entries
    There is a bolt you need to change on the pedal to correct the location.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Did you find the wheels for mobility? Yes, the Johnson bar will work by inserting in the hole in the brake pedal and it takes a push/pull or two to get a feel for the trajectory of the beast. Kind of fun backing/forthing/hard turning to get it where you want it. Re learn it all over again a few years later when you rearrange the shop. After you find wherever the Johnson bar is hidden away in the shop. Biggest pain I seem to remember I had in setup was to level out the table in both directions as it seemed to me that the levelling bolts could be used to either push up or pull down, but it has been a while since I did it and not sure I ever quite figured out a truly systematic method for doing it and may have gotten somewhat lucky and called it good. .
    David

i just got back from vacation and spent the day cleaning and wiring.

Wiring was straightforward however when i went to turn it on...nothing. Here's what i've checked to far

- all doors are closed
    - bounced and wiped each of the micro switches in the doors
    - verified power to outlet and to the machine -- at the terminal block where my wiring ties into the machines'
    - tried the switch in various combinations and yes it does take a good bit of force to feel the "on" switch click. i'm pretty sure the red twist knob must be twisted and pushed in and then you press the clear/white switch to the right but i tried various combinations.

[yes i verified gnd is correct]

any suggestions? tomorrow i can reach out to official resources if i don't figure it out tonight.
    Bob C

Blog Entries
    Pushing in the red twist knob shuts it off. Twist that out and push the small button.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

On my few year old MM16, I have to twist/pull out the large red stop button before hitting the start button. Twisting/pulling it out re sets it to stay pulled out until such time as I use it to stop the machine. It will not do anything without re setting the stop button in the (I guess) run position. You say you are pushing it in?
    David