Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Link belt

Link belt

For those of you having trouble with a vibrating table faw, I've gone through every adjustment with precision instruments and adjusted everything to o.001" on my Delta contractors table saw with little affect on vibration. As many of you have suggested I finally decided to replace the standard drive belt with a linked belt. I must admit I was very skeptical. I was absolutely amazed when I flipped the switch... no vibration. Highly recommend!
    Last edited by bill ward; 11-22-2017 at 7:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    Changing to the link belt helps. Machined pulleys help as well.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Yup. Happened that way on my delta contractor saw too. Didnt even change the pulleys and a nickel will stand vertically through start up, running then shut down.

Just curious, how is it that a link belt runs smoother?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Hi Nick,
    What I've read is that many V-belts take a "set" (sort or a permanent bend shaped like the pulley) over time. As the belt turns under power, it causes a vibration - rather like having a flat spot on a tire. The link belts - and supposedly some very high quality V-belts - don't take a set, or take less of one. The problem seems to be more prevalent on contractor saws, supposedly because the belt is tensioned by the motor hanging off the back.

Problem for me was I couldn't get the high quality V-belt locally, but I found a link belt. And while I didn't change out the pulleys, it still made a significant difference on my saw.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Conventional rubber belts will take a "set" when made. Link belts are as flexible as each interlocking segment, so they don't take a set.
    If the belt is able to be tensioned, the set is removed, but in a contractor saw it is only the weight of the motor that tensions the belt, and that isn't enough. Actually the full weight of the motor is never on the belt because it pivots on a hinge.
    As the belt turns the motor, the positions where the belt has taken it's set, lifts up the motor twice in it's rotation.
    I have had a link belt on my Jet contractor saw for many years.They're not cheap, but they work.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 11-23-2017 at 8:20 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thanks to both of you, and that makes perfect sense. My saw is a SawStop jobsite and I haven't noticed any excessive vibration in it so far, but I'll keep this in mind.

Blog Entries
    Do link belts come in different widths? My General table saw belt is 3/8" and if memory serves, link belts are 1/2". Do I need to change the pulleys?

There are at least two sizes in link belts. They are handy but are rated as fractional HP belts so not really appropriate for many machines. They mask but don't correct balance problems. Belts today can be made so well and transmit power so efficiently that a good VX Gates, Goodyear, or Optibelt is a better but not easier choice. Dave

Looks like my SawStop jobsite wouldn't be a link belt candidate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nick, that looks to be a cogged flat belt, similar to an automotive timing belt, but with the cogged side outboard! I am aware that SawStop, like many other tool brands, typically uses flat belt drives, but cogged and on backwards? Makes little sense at all; are you confident that is original equipment? Do you suppose those cogs might function as some sort of sawdust conveyer or to increase turbulence?..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Morey St. Denis View Post
    Nick, that looks to be a cogged flat belt, similar to an automotive timing belt, but with the cogged side outboard! I am aware that SawStop, like many other tool brands, typically uses flat belt drives, but cogged and on backwards? Makes little sense at all; are you confident that is original equipment? Do you suppose those cogs might function as some sort of sawdust conveyer or to increase turbulence?..
    It is what is called a poly ribbed v belt. It is not on backwards. There are small v ribs on the pulley side that fit into v grooves in the pulley. Look at the 3 minute section of this video.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have link belts in 2 applications. One is one a G1023 3 belt drive and the other on a Delta Radial Arm Drill Press. I did the G1023 conversion before I read that I wasn't supposed to do that It works and I'm not about to change them. On the drill press there's still more vibration that I care for, link belt or not. The drill press is a candidate for a Dealers Electric motor/VFD conversion, 500RPM minimum speed isn't really slow enough for some applications.

Lee, I am well familiar with the poly ribbed V belt. I've earned a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering and am a licensed Professional Engineer. The Poly ribbed belt has multiple V grooves running longitudinally. There is a brief moment in the promotional video where a belt with transverse cogs is seen around 1:25, so you have confirmed that this design appears original to the SawStop. At 3:00 the multi ribbed pulley and belt is seen clearly, but without those transverse cogs on the outer belt, having a conventional smooth outer surface (unless it might be shown running)... I am otherwise not especially familiar with any particular power transmission aspect of the SawStop. Can someone tell me what function those transverse, or lateral, outer ribs might serve for SawStop? To my eyes it would only increases air turbulence with slightly increased mass and power loss.
    Last edited by Morey St. Denis; 11-24-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Lee is correct, the belt on mine looks just like the one in the video - the ribs on the inside of the belt run longitudinally, in grooves in the pulley. Don't know what the crosswise grooves on the outside are for, but I trust the thing was designed by someone smarter than me.

Edit: Looks like Morey and I were cross-posting.