Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to source birds for lathe birdhouse?

Where to source birds for lathe birdhouse?

I found some at hobby lobby but they seem a little to big. The only others I found at Michael's were foam and looked really bad. Is there any online source for a few tiny birds?

My first birdhouse
    20171121_074334.jpg

Craft supply has some about 1" long. I haven't bought any, just leave mine "birdless". I've never had any luck at craft stores for them.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Hobby Lobby still has them. To get the small ones look next to the dollhouses. They are often called dollhouse birds.

Hobby Lobby is where I got mine a couple years ago. At he back of the store near dollhouse stuff. Got to go again on Friday to get more for this year's batch of gifts.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Here's the birds I use from Hobby Lobby. A little tricky to CA glue them to the perch because they are so small but just the right size for me.
    birds1.jpg
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    I found some at hobby lobby but they seem a little to big.
    Sorry, I can't help with your tiny bird search, but perhaps pay attention to your feeling that some are too big! I saw some very nice little turned birdhouse ornaments a few months ago. Unfortunately the gentleman had glued on birds that were too big for the house and the entrance hole - I thought they were way too big but that was just me. If the birds are not to the right scale I'd rather just leave them off. Here's one of my little acorn houses, walnut and something, I think it looks ok with no bird:

acorn_ornament.jpg

To get an idea of the scale a google search for birdhouses with birds will show the size of real birds relative to the entrance hole, for example:

birdhouse_birds.jpg

JKJ

Cody, if you do a search for mushroom birds, you should get a few options of places to buy them at. You can get then from 1/2" on up in size, they look perfect on this type of ornaments. I've bought them in the past, and I'm sorry but I forget the name of the places I bought them from. One of the places name was Flora----- something, these little birds aren't cheap though.
    Len

Not sure where my wife found them, but she said search "miniature birds for crafts".

What;s the SKU number on that package? I went tonight and the they only had a small baggie with 6 fat birds in it for $3.99 (on sale for $2.89). The ones you show are the same ones I got a couple of years ago, and they're about the right size.

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Here's the birds I use from Hobby Lobby. A little tricky to CA glue them to the perch because they are so small but just the right size for me.
    birds1.jpg
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

................#746487

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    What;s the SKU number on that package? I went tonight and the they only had a small baggie with 6 fat birds in it for $3.99 (on sale for $2.89). The ones you show are the same ones I got a couple of years ago, and they're about the right size.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

I will go back to hobby lobby and look by doll house. I bought the 6 pack for 3.99 that were by the floral stuff

I bought the small red cardinal birds from Rubberchucky.com. Pk

You could turn some small birds, I never add birds to the Birdhouses, makes them look cheap IMO, have added some to a display stand with the Birdhouses on them.

turned small bird.jpg display stand.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    You could turn some small birds, I never add birds to the Birdhouses, makes them look cheap IMO, have added some to a display stand with the Birdhouses on them.
    I didn't want to say that, but I agree. People seem to love birdhouse ornaments without birds. Maybe for people who sell these, try some with and without birds. Also, when I look at my actual bird houses outside I rarely see a bird, and when I do it's not posing but halfway in or out and gone in a flash. Now some birds perched around a little bird feeder would be interesting. But I've never seen a turned bird feeder ornament - why not?

Frank Penta calls these little ornaments "fly" houses. I guess he could glue on a dead fly but I haven't seen that yet.

I like the little turned bird.

JKJ

I get mine from Factorydirectcraft.com. Search for mushroom birds and there's lots of options. I usually get the ones that are 3/4" long as that seems to be the best size for my birdhouses.
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?