Thread: Garage door closers

Garage door closers

Anybody have a good recommendation for an automatic garage door closer? That is, a device that senses the overhead door has been left open and after so many minutes, closes the electric overhead opener. I had a Garage Butler for awhile but it would not work with my new garage door opener. The installers of the opener had no suggestions. I called a few other door service companies that could only suggest the G Butler.

What about replacing the opener with one that is Wi-Fi enabled? You could probably find a smartphone app that would either close it or at least notify you that it was still open.
    Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by Doyle Alley View Post
    What about replacing the opener with one that is Wi-Fi enabled? You could probably find a smartphone app that would either close it or at least notify you that it was still open.
    My new Chamberlain has that. But it also has a "timer-to-close" menu entry (defaulted to 'off'). It's part of the control panel, so the non-WIFI units may have it as well.

As far as retrofitting an existing opener, try this: https://www.chamberlain.com/smartpho...e-connectivity
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Thanks guys. Not ready to replace opener since its new, but hoping to work with what I've got.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Thanks guys. Not ready to replace opener since its new, but hoping to work with what I've got.
    The retrofit widget I linked to is $100. Unless you're really in love with your existing new opener, I think I'd be tempted to get the integrated package (~$225 IIRC) and sell the other one on Craigslist for enough to cover the difference.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Thanks Lee. I misunderstood the site and thought it was only for chamberlain/liftmaster.

I have Liftmaster openers on both garage doors. Battery backup, wifi enabled, and timer to auto-close. Really nice when nobody's at home and you need a service tech to work on the A/C or Heating unit.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I had a Garage Butler for awhile but it would not work with my new garage door opener. The installers of the opener had no suggestions. I called a few other door service companies that could only suggest the G Butler.
    After looking at the installation instructions, all the Garage Butler does is close the contacts the same as the wall mounted push button would do. It is essentially another push button installed in parallel with the existing wall switch. If your new opener has a wall mounted button that is hard wired it should work, despite what you may have been told by the door opener installers.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee, yes it should have. It didn't. I can't explain it, but I tried rewiring it multiple times. Even shorting the terminals did not activate the opener. Tried with another new device - also didn't work.