Thread: DJ 20 fence

DJ 20 fence

I have a 1986 delta invicta jointer made in Brazil. Everything works fine except the fence which won't stay at 90 degrees, After tightening and face planing a few boards, the bottom kicks back. I have read everything I can find on this. This past weekend I disassembled the fence from the carriage. There were some indentations on the rod the fence pivots on so I rotated it so the set screws have a fresh surface to tighten against. I raised the carriage so it was dead flush with the outfeed table, cleaned everything and reassembled. Today same problem, fence moves after face planing a few boards. I did notice the front end of the fence now is touching the infeed table but is off the tables everywhere else. I don't have a clue what to try next. Anybody have a suggestion?

;

Quote Originally Posted by woody dixon View Post
    I have a 1986 delta invicta jointer made in Brazil. Everything works fine except the fence which won't stay at 90 degrees, After tightening and face planing a few boards, the bottom kicks back. I have read everything I can find on this. This past weekend I disassembled the fence from the carriage. There were some indentations on the rod the fence pivots on so I rotated it so the set screws have a fresh surface to tighten against. I raised the carriage so it was dead flush with the outfeed table, cleaned everything and reassembled. Today same problem, fence moves after face planing a few boards. I did notice the front end of the fence now is touching the infeed table but is off the tables everywhere else. I don't have a clue what to try next. Anybody have a suggestion?

;
    Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

Woody I have the same jointer at my shop,mine is a 89 vintage. When I saw your post I went to look. Unfortunately mine is in pieces (middle of a rebuild-paint job . I need to see a picture to figure out what your problem is. The way I think you are describing things is the fence "rotates" out at the bottom so you would be headed for less than 90 degree angle. Is that right ?If possible post a pic and I will go look at mine again, Mike.

I have a similar issue with my Invicta DI-42. I haven’t done it yet, but I have been considering drilling a hole in the tilting mechanism and tapping a hole and putting a bolt in it to lock it in place as I only use it at 90 degrees. I have yet to take it completely apart, but it doesn’t make sense to me.... all of the set screws and stops are correct and I tighten it up and it still moves.... my former jointer was a DJ20 and I never had issues with it.

IMG_0121[1].jpgIMG_0122[1].jpgIMG_0124[1].jpgIMG_0125[1].jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Woody I have the same jointer at my shop,mine is a 89 vintage. When I saw your post I went to look. Unfortunately mine is in pieces (middle of a rebuild-paint job . I need to see a picture to figure out what your problem is. The way I think you are describing things is the fence "rotates" out at the bottom so you would be headed for less than 90 degree angle. Is that right ?If possible post a pic and I will go look at mine again, Mike.
    Mike:

Here are pictures of what I was talking about. 1 and 2 show the fence right after tightening and then moving at the bottom after using. 3 and 4 show the fence low on the infeed table and high on the outfeed table. I don't know why the images rotated when I attached them and I can't reorient them.

In the meantime I ordered a new shaft, 2 new collars and 2 clamp blocks from grizzly for their 0940 jointer which is a clone of the dj 20. My collars attach to the shaft with set screws, the grizzly with hex head bolts so I ordered them also,

I forgot to mention that when I had the fence disassembled, the upper clamp block which tightens down the shaft and holds the fence in place had a bevel on the end which was worn. It was silver while the rest of the block was black. Don't know whether this is supposed to be this way and part of the problem or not.

Woody (and Travis ) I looked at my jointer fence assembly tonite. So this is my idea for a fix. The way I see it the parts that Woody ordered are the ones that should lock this at 90 degrees. However on closer inspection I noticed something, the top shaft(one that fence is actually bolted to) has two spots that help hold it. One is the "shot pin mechanism" and the other is the wedge -collar clamp that is tightened with the handle. The lower shaft depends only on the wedge-collar adjustment. So if you drilled and tapped a hole in the fence carriage at the front edge centered width wise one could install a bolt and jam nut for an adjustable stop. I think this shaft rotates just enough to cause your problems. Woody from your description of the wear on that "wedge" piece I think the parts you ordered should fix things. Hope this helps,Mike.

Travis after rereading your post I think you are seeing the same thing as me.

Thanks Mike, I"ll let you know how the parts work. Still curious about the fence tilting up from the infeed to outfeed table. Is this normal? If not, how do I adjust this?

I am not sure about "normal". To adjust it I would level the casting that bolts to the side of the jointer that the fence carriage part slides on.

I think I already did that when I took everything apart before. I got this carriage level to both the infeed and outfeed table after I took the fence off. I don't see any other way to adjust for this but if it does not affect anything, it may not matter anyway.