Thread: Epilog Legend 36EXT garage set up

Epilog Legend 36EXT garage set up

New to the business. Bought a used Epilog Legend 36EXT and have it in the garage. Cannot have it 3 ft from the back wall as recommended so am wondering if I can just put cement board behind the machine instead? If so, how much does it need to extend above and to the side?
    In videos they are often up against concrete walls so I dont know why 3 ft was suggested ?

Dianna,

My machines fit out far away enough from the wall/s so I can get behind and clean, monitor (idiot lights for problems), access cables......
    As far as the cement board? you're not exhausting "heat", just fumes etc.
    I would not like my machines inaccessible in the rear. HTH

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    Dianna,

My machines fit out far away enough from the wall/s so I can get behind and clean, monitor (idiot lights for problems), access cables......
    As far as the cement board? you're not exhausting "heat", just fumes etc.
    I would not like my machines inaccessible in the rear. HTH

Bruce
    Thanks for responding Bruce. I have limited space in the garage so cannot have it sticking out too far from the wall. I was under the impression that they produced heat at the back so I was not supposed to have it against a plywood wall. I was thinking I would get a couple of concrete backer type sheets to put behind to create a fire barrier from the plywood. But based on what you are saying, that is not necessary?? It look like you have newer machines, so is it maybe the older Epilogs that produce heat? I would like to get it hooked up, leveled, calibrated, etc. so I can learn how to operate.

Thanks,
    Dianna
    Dianna

Vision 1624 Rotary Engraver
    Epilog Legend 36EXT Laser Engraver
    CorelDraw x8

Engraving Newcomer
    Alberta Canada

​~Dream~Believe~Achieve~

A former colleague bought two of those used, both dual head back in the late 90s. They were against the wall in his garage, and never had any problems. I used them a few times, and the wall was just drywall.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thank you Joe. I will hook it up and see if I can get it running. If it produces too much heat I will look at options then. First the fun part of getting it all hooked up, leveled and calibrated. Should be interesting....
    Dianna

CorelDraw x8

Engraving Newcomer
    Alberta Canada

​~Dream~Believe~Achieve~

I've never had a problem with heat and I park my laser (and previous machines) about 8" from a sheet rock wall. It's on wheels so moving it away from the wall for maintenance is easy.

Epilog recommends keeping the machine away from the wall to keep the machine cool, not the wall. It's about air flow behind the machine.

A big problem you will have in a garage is environmental. Dust and heat are enemies of your laser tube. Dust and cob webs will build up inside the machine and inhibit cooling. No/poor climate control will make the problem worse. The machine will eat laser tubes if don't have the proper environment.
    Epilog Lasers

Thanks Chuck. That makes sense. It is a heated garage so not too much temperature fluctuation. I keep it covered when not in use to cut some of the dust, but will be more vigilant about regulating the environment.
    Thanks,
    Dianna
    Dianna

CorelDraw x8

Engraving Newcomer
    Alberta Canada

​~Dream~Believe~Achieve~