Thread: 8 inch bench top jointer

8 inch bench top jointer

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with a Cutech 8 inch jointer with spiral cutting function. It seems like a good machine for what it is intended to do. Obviously not as good as cabinet style 8 inch jointer, but for me, with my space limitations and the size of wood I would be jointing, it seems like this might be the ticket. I saw nothing but bad reviews for the JET planer jointer combo. Besides, I already have a planer.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gerry

Any pics Gerry? Ive never seen an 8" benchtop model before.

Peter

Google has lots of pictures. Here's a link to it at Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Cutech-40180H.../dp/B071P997VR

If you google "Cutech 40180HC" you'll find some forums that discuss the jointer which might help.

Personally, I think it looks like it might be the ticket for you. Only 60 pounds and table extensions. Fence looks short though.

The cutter head doesn't look like a spiral . More like a staggered tooth pattern.

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

I have the 6" Cutech with carbide cutters. Works fine for me, but keep in mind this is a lightweight solution for people with space limitations. Mine (about 40 lbs.) sits on a shelf under my workbench, very easy to access and use.

Fence and table are aluminum, so not as sturdy as cast iron, but again, lightweight. Andrew is right: Not a true helix head, and not as many cutters as, say, a Byrd head, but they do leave a nice, clean surface. For highly figured wood, don't expect helix-head results.

They do have excellent customer service and are very responsive if you have questions.

Thanks Nick and Andrew,

Yes, I understand this is not a true helix-head, and I would not expect helix head results from it. I am mostly interested in smooth square surface on the flats and edges. Since I will mostly be jointing pieces less than 60 inches, this seems like it might do the trick. Also, I like the idea of replacing individual square heads if need be rather than an entire blade. I also like the fact that it is 8 inches. Being lightweight is certainly an advantage for me as well. I would have had no way to muscle a 300 pound jointer down my cellar anyway.

Thanks again for your input

Like I said, mine is the 6" version, so I can't say how well those support bars/extensions will work. My guess is that they would offer support, kind of like a separate roller stand, but I wouldn't expect much beyond that.

The cutters will give you two cutting surfaces, so you can rotate them once if they wear out or get nicked. A word of caution about that: If or when you replace or rotate them, be extra careful about cleaning the cutter and the head, where they attach. The slightest grain of dirt or sawdust will keep them from seating properly. Also, pay attention to not over tightening. I use a torque wrench.

I have no problem getting square and flat boards with an almost glass-like surface. I sometimes see, in the right light, very faint lines. So faint you can't feel them, and easily erased with a quick sanding or a scraper.

Thanks Nick,
    I never thought about the cleaning and tightening of the cutters. I will certainly make certain they and their surfaces are clean. Do you know if CUTECH has any input on the tightening of the cutters? I'm about ready to buy the unit, just waiting on any Black Friday deals that might be available.

Jerry,

Cutech (and the manual) will tell you to tighten to 48-50 inch pounds, not foot pounds. Important, in that carbide is brittle and could break if you get too enthusiastic with it.

They do provide you with a t-shaped wrench, which I only use for initial, gentle tightening until the cutter is aligned and seated. Then switch to the torque wrench to finish up.

You'll get differing opinions on initial cleaning to remove the packing grease. I opted to remove all the cutters and put them in a small jar of spirits while I clean off the cutting head. There aren't that many, takes maybe a half hour total. I then wipe down each cutter, blow some canned air into the screw hole, and wipe the screw threads with a rag with light oil on it. Reassemble and you're good to go.

They do occasionally run sales, no idea if they'll do a Black Friday thing.

Thanks again Nick. I suspect I may follow your advise. I'll check back in when I'm up and running. If you're still around I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm thinking of getting a new 6" jointer with some mad-money in the mid future. I've been into woodworking for a couple years now and know I'm going to continue. I currently have a little benchtop 6" Craftsman jointer and want something larger, wider wingspan and on an enclosed base. I like the low price of the 1st King Canada but not sure if it's crappy. I have a KC tablesaw which I love so I have nothign against them. Anything above my craftsman would be an improvement so I woudn't be disappointed I'm thinking. If I spend more like 600-800 range that's when reviews and motor quality would mean more to me. Also, spending $649 on a 6"...I'd rather pay the extra $150 and get that 8" one. Also, Steel City has a nice one for around the same price, super wide wing span but don't own anything by them other than an air cleaner. What would you choose and why?

Some ones in mind are:
    King Industrial 6" KC-60FX $489 after $50 rebate.
    http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?ID=91

King Industrial 8" KC-203C $899
    http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=113&ID=917

WEN 6560 10-Amp 6-Inch Benchtop Jointer with Filter Bag
    https://wisepick.org/best-benchtop-jointer/

Steel City 6" 40615 $729 after $100 rebate
    http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...y=7&tool=40615
    Last edited by Adam Clap; 02-03-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Let us know how it works out. I may get one to supplement my cast iron 6".
    Charlie Jones