Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pet peeve with forums

I just renewed my annual contribution tonight (AKA Contributor) because I like how things are run here.

To the OP- It would be helpful if people would include more detail. Helps a lot to find info in doing a forum search.
    A question like " Is the SS any good" to most, one would think they are talking about a Saw Stop but maybe it's ShopSmith??

Often you see post about people not using the forum search before asking a question, But it can be hard for a newbie to find info about Boiled Linseed Oil, for example, if all of us responds with BLO in our response.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 11-18-2017 at 12:52 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I do not get the general complaining. Personally, I like this forum and how it is run. The rules are clear and maybe some do not care for them. Time to spend more effort on woodworking and less discussions about the rules.
    I couldn't agree more. I spend more time on this site than all others sites combined and never have had a problem, lets get back to making sawdust.
    Dennis

When a machine model number is posted in the title, what type of machine it is should also be included, "Rockwell 37-220 Question" tells very little to a lot of people, "Rockwell 37-220 Jointer Question" removes all ambiguity about to what machine information is requested.
    Last edited by Rollie Meyers; 11-18-2017 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    When a machine model number is posted in the title, what type of machine it is should also be included, "Rockwell 37-220 Question" tells very little to a lot of people, "Rockwell 37-220 Jointer Question" removes all ambiguity about to what machine information is requested.
    Exactly. If I don't know what a Rockwell XXX is, I have nothing to contribute to answering questions about it. But if the title says Rockwell XXX Jointer, I might very well participate in the thread simply because I'm trying to learn more about jointers generally.

It's a pet peeve of mine, too, and it'll probably get solved about the same time all my other pet peeves get solved.

Like most here, I've got experience with other forums and how they get moderated. This one suits me just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    It's a pet peeve of mine, too, and it'll probably get solved about the same time all my other pet peeves get solved.
    That made me laugh! I think I'll name the stray dog I just adopted "Peeve". Then I can smile when I talk about my pet Peeve.

new-dog_IMG_20170819_194750_505.jpg

He's a great dog! He and my other dog Leo have a 1/4 acre fenced wooded lot to run in when they are not helping out around the farm.

JKJ

Excellent! Kindly throw Peeve a stick for me.

Clearly there needs to be a checklist for all posts. Create a post verification team which triple checks that the checklist has been followed before allowing each post out of moderation. That will ensure no one wastes their time clicking threads they don't want to read or googling something to find out its not something they are actually interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    ... Create a post verification team which triple checks that the checklist has been followed before allowing each post out of moderation.
    Can I be on the post post-verification team? Someone's gotta re-check the post checker's checking of the checklist.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 11-20-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Clearly there needs to be a checklist for all posts. Create a post verification team which triple checks that the checklist has been followed before allowing each post out of moderation. That will ensure no one wastes their time clicking threads they don't want to read or googling something to find out its not something they are actually interested in.
    Ha! For less manpower how about a filter on the user end: Show me all posts from [whitelist], omit all posts from[blacklist], omit posts that contain the word "help" unless they also contain the phrase "I googled", priority for these keywords [list], no posts that contain these [keywords], omit these sub-forums [list]. Eventually the personalized message stream would be down to a manageable 3 posts per week.

JKJ

Getting back to the original post.

I would be happy if the 'new members' who ask a question, would give a simple thank you to those who spent the time trying to help them, before they disappear.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Getting back to the original post.

I would be happy if the 'new members' who ask a question, would give a simple thank you to those who spent the time trying to help them, before they disappear.
    +1. ......

Agree, but to be fair I was just able to help a first time poster with exactly what he needed and he was very appreciative and gracious. Always a fun experience.

I don't usually reply to these posts, but,I only go to three woodworking forums. I go to Wood Central, Woodnet forum and Sawmill Creek. I find all three to be very polite sites. Oh, I forgot the AAW site. I am quiet happy with Sawmill Creek.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    I found the answer to a posters question. It happened to be on another forum. What's the problem with posting that link which does the service of answering a question ? This is a pet peeve of mine. Other forums allow this practice with pleasure as it increases everyone's knowledge base.
    There are valid arguments to be made on both sides. It's possible to direct someone to a particular piece of information without making it a clickable link. Is a clickable link more convenient? Sure, but it's not necessary. For instance, to direct someone to an Ebay listing, post the Ebay item number, "ebay item xxxxxxxxxxxxxx". That meets the no link requirement.