Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good excuse to buy a Domino?????

Solid cherry. Stock is from 50+year old slabs kept in hay loft in Ill. and have been in my wood rack in Seattle for the last 17 yrs. "Seasoned" with bat, pigeon, and raccoon guano and were twisted, cupped, split etc. ~2" thick, some were 16" wide X 8ft. long, most were 9" wide. Best guess is my fathers' sawyer buddy gave them to him because the were not good enough to mill and market to payin' customers!! Lots of machining but should have enough. Incredible deep color. I can attach top with slots for expansion and hopefully the Dominoed joints will have matching expansion as they will be solid glue joint. Thinking a tenon every 6 inches along 21" panels front to back. Is that too generous a number?? More the merrier? 'Tis the season.

Hey John,

How did the 500 work out for you? I just ordered one myself, after mulling over it and the 700. The 500 makes more sense, but I tend to lean toward the "what if" sides of things, hah. Hopefully, it does all I need and more.

This terrible thread is about to cost me a lot of money! I've always known I was going to buy a Domino, but I was really hung up on whether to get the 500 or the 700XL. I went back and read a bunch of stuff and watched some videos that I recognized that I'd watched before. Eventually I just came to the conclusion that neither one was ideal for everything and I was probably going to want both of them eventually. Since I don't have any large-tenon projects on the immediate horizon, I figured I'd order the 500 and use that one for a while first.

I used the awesome Amazon.de trick mentioned in this thread, to order the Domino Tenon Kit first and it worked quite well. The US Amazon one was $315 free shipping. The German price was inclusive of the VAT, but that was taken off at the end because it was shipping to the US. They did add an 18 Euro shipping fee (I don't have an Amazon Prime account, so I don't know if that was the reason why. I just picked Standard Shipping). The shipping worked out less than the VAT anyway, so it came out to $197 on my credit card. $118 cheaper than Amazon US. It said 3 weeks for delivery. I'll have to see. I won't be home for 2 weeks anyway, so it doesn't really matter to me either way. I had no issues using my personal credit card as Sean did.

I looked at the 500 as well on the German Amazon, but there wasn't any savings like on the Tenon Kits, so I'll order that in the US.

Of course, nothing goes easily without requiring extra costs. I'll need a vacuum to use the domino. I've got a fairly powerful Craftsman Shop Vac with a Dust Cyclone mounted on top. It does a good job, but it's big and cumbersome to move around my shop with ease. So, I figured I might just buy a Festool Vac to use with the Domino and possibly with my Makita SCMS when I take it out of the shop. Holy Sticker Shock!!!! $700 for a CT-26. Maybe I'll just buy a Festool 27mm hose and attach it to my Shop Vac. Even that was $120. I had a vision of that not working very well, and then I'd have to end up buying a Festool Vac anyway, which would come with the hose that I just spend $120 on, so I'm not sure where to go.

I was hung up on the Midi vs the CT-26 until I got out my tape measure and figured out that at 25" deep, it was going to be too big for what I want. I'm now considering the Mini. Smaller bag, but I wouldn't have to strain my back moving my Shop Vac anymore because it's a lot more portable. It would also be nice to have the auto-ON outlet on the vac to run the Domino. If I order the 500 in the next 5 days or so, I could get the Domino before the price goes up $50, and I'd get 10% off the price of the Mini, so it would be about $500.

So, I guess my question is... Is the Mini with a 27mm hose a good match-up for a 500 Domino? I read somewhere that guys were saying that you needed the 36mm hose for a Domino, but is the 27mm hose good enough? Is Domino sawdust like router sawdust, or is it volume-consuming like planer shavings? That would be a big factor on how quick it fills up the small bag.

This will be my first drink of the green Kool-Aid.

Better place your orders, Festool prices are going up (again) in less than a week: https://www.toolnut.com/festool-pric...ease-2018.html

I use the 27mm hose with the Domino and have not had any problems; essentially dust free. Plus, using a larger hose with the Domino would be cumbersome. The 36mm hose is less flexible and heavier and just makes it more difficult to use the 500. Actually, I'm not even sure that you can use a 36mm hose with the Domino without adapting the hose to fit the dust port (maybe I'm wrong about that because I never tried).

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Weber View Post

So, I guess my question is... Is the Mini with a 27mm hose a good match-up for a 500 Domino? I read somewhere that guys were saying that you needed the 36mm hose for a Domino, but is the 27mm hose good enough? Is Domino sawdust like router sawdust, or is it volume-consuming like planer shavings? That would be a big factor on how quick it fills up the small bag.

This will be my first drink of the green Kool-Aid.
    The Domino operation produces a very acceptable amount of dust, unlike any typical router operation. So you don't need a lot of suction, but the use of a dust deputy is an excellent idea because those Festolol vac bags are expensive (if you decide to get a Mini or CT). I use a shop vac and Dust Deputy for ALL my Festool tools.

Anything you mentioned will work for the DF500 and if you already have a shop vac, hold on your purchase of any vac or dust extractor until you finish your first Domino project. But if you have money and want a clean-cut solution, it is hard to beat a CT26...but you know they are releasing the new generation of hoses and Blue-tooth capable extractors in April in Europe, right? (You may be seeing a flood of older CTs in the second hand market afterwards.)

Simon

27 mm hose should be fine for DF500. I have CT26 with dust deputy and 27 mm hose for DF 700.

Mini is too small. I have MIDI for portable use, yes, need to buy expensive filter bag.

If you do not plan to buy Festool dust extractor, you can use non-Festool hose like this one https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-VAC005-...ords=27mm+hose.

But I think Festool dust extractor is a good investment. You might just wait for the new generation Festool dust extractor http://toolguyd.com/festool-dust-ext...tractors-2018/

James

Blog Entries
    I debated the domino to rough out mortises but ultimately decided on a slot mortiser. You can’t work to layout knife lines because the domino is designed to work off a centerline.
    The slot mortiser is great, paid little more for the machine than the big domino, less shipping and setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I debated the domino to rough out mortises but ultimately decided on a slot mortiser. You can’t work to layout knife lines because the domino is designed to work off a centerline.
    The slot mortiser is great, paid little more for the machine than the big domino, less shipping and setup.
    Brian, what slot mortiser did you get?
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Keith,

Whenever I've bought from Amazon.de, it always charges me for shipping (even though I have prime), and while it's said 2-3 weeks, they end up shipping via DHL overnight, so it arrives in 1-2 days When I bought my 500 (from the US) and the domino kit (from Amazon.de), the kit showed up 2 days before the tool did.

Take a look at this thread from the Workshops forum, if you haven't already seen it:
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....Dust-Extractor

In particular, the last page has a link to a blog that compared several dust extractors. I think there is some good data, there, that may dissuade you from the Festool version.

The dust port on the Domino is sized for the 27mm hose, and I suspect any shop vac or dust extractor would have no problem being "sufficient" for use with it.

I'd suggest playing with the 500 for a bit before deciding on a dust extractor and before deciding you need the XL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    Brian, what slot mortiser did you get?
    I should mention I bought mine used at auction, so the pricing is not reflective of current retail pricing (which is 4x what I paid). It's a Felder FD250, I've been using it with a bit from Rangate and it is sweet as can be. I cut 1.75" x 1" mortises, 6mm width rapidly. I don't rush through work, but I found even at a moderate pace I was able to cut a mortise per minute.

I square them up afterward by hand, but likely most here are not concerned with rounded corners. I prefer square corners because it suits how I cut tenons.

I layout my mortises with a mortising gauge, and knife the shoulders. I set the bit by eye between the lines (which are sized to the bit) and set the stops just shy of the end of the mortise. It's quick, intuitive and works around a basic process without additional consideration (such as working off a centerline) which adds a potential for error.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 02-23-2018 at 1:10 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I did the Amazon.de trick as well Why not save a $100? We'll see if it arrives tomorrow via DHL. I'm still iffy that choosing the 500 over the 700 was the correct choice, but I'm sure it'll work for 98% of my builds. If I need the 700 later on down the road, so be it. I have the CT Mini with the Dust Deputy already, so dust extraction is covered. I'm sure other vacs would work just fine. Really looking forward to testing out the tool.

Several years ago I bought the 500 when ebay had discounts combined with "Bing" cash back (that didn't last long). I used it a couple of times but really didn't use it a lot maybe because the early productions ones had a "walking" fence in that it did not lock down well. So I sold it. Then a couple years ago I made a crib for my granddaughter. The design had many slats and other joints that were ideal for the Domino. I found a slightly used 700xl for a good price that had some of the Seneca goodies including the 500 bit adapter. The 700 is bigger and heavier but I like it much better than the 500. For the crib project I built an adjustable fixture to center the mortises on the 1/2"x1-1/4"? slats. I also made a jig to align the slots in the mating rails. Took only minutes to create the 100+ mortises.

I sold mine after it gathered dust. But then again I own a Multi-Router.

I've had the 500 for about a week now. Used it on a couple small projects, mostly just to test it out. It works as well as I'd hope it would. Only problem, I do believe it's a bit on the small side for larger projects. I have about a week left to decide to return and go with the 700. My thinking is, I'll get the Seneca adapter and get the best of both worlds. It's driving me nuts trying to decide which way to go, hah.