Thread: Our Turners Forum now has over 69,080 file attachments through 2016

Our Turners Forum now has over 69,080 file attachments through 2016

I have recently added the forum file attachments from last two years to our total from the years 2003 through 2014. Most are pictures but there are occasional drawings and other files as well. The attachments now equal 5.2 gigabytes for 69,080 files not including 2017 which I will add to the total in January of 2018.

If you viewed a picture every five seconds it would take you 95.9 hours to view all of the pictures in this forum not including those added in 2017.
    I will make these files available on thumb drives shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I have recently added the forum file attachments from last two years to our total from the years 2003 through 2014. Most are pictures but there are occasional drawings and other files as well. The attachments now equal 5.2 gigabytes for 69,080 files not including 2017 which I will add to the total in January of 2018.

If you viewed a picture every five seconds it would take you 95.9 hours to view all of the pictures in this forum not including those added in 2017.
    I will make these files available on thumb drives shortly.
    Wow, even more than my photo drive!

Just curious, do you sell disks of archived messages for the sub-forums?

JKJ

In the past we used DVD discs to provide file attachments, most ordered a complete set of discs. The numbers and the storage capacity required has forced us to change to thumb drives and provide one for each forum. The cost is mostly determined by the cost of the media and shipping. I am in the process of searching for the best price I can find for thumb drives that will fit the current storage requirements.

In the past we used DVD discs to provide file attachments, most ordered a complete set of discs. The numbers and the storage capacity required has forced us to change to thumb drives and provide one for each forum. The cost is mostly determined by the cost of the media and shipping. I am in the process of searching for the best price I can find for thumb drives that will fit the current storage requirements.
    Let me understand - do you offer just the file attachments (photos, etc) or the messages along with the associated file attachments?

JKJ

Just the file attachments, I would have to ship messages and file attachments on a hard drive which would not be cost effective

Is there a way to connect the picture to the post? Date or thread name or post number?
    Bill

Bill,

Sorry but the files are extracted from our server drive directly based on a search for a particular year. Aaron appends the file number to the posters name and the files are written to an external drive so I can review them on my iMac. I delete pictures that are innapropriate, mostly comics or others that are copy protected like picures from magazines.

It can be difficult but you can use the search feature for the persons name and possibly some kind of keyword but that is not very effective with vBulletin. We are hoping that when we make the change to Xenforo their search feature is more accurate.

?... We are hoping that when we make the change to Xenforo their search feature is more accurate.
    That's a very good move in my opinion. When we were evaluating forum software for the AAW forum, we found XenForo to be by far the best from the users point of view. We opted for a vBulletin skin to make the transition as smooth as possible. Typically when changing forum software there always seems to be a lot of discontent, but our experience was just the opposite. Of course, there is still a learning curve, but I feel like XenForo is very intuitive and members very quickly came up to speed. One of the best features is the photo gallery.
    Bill