Thread: Handplane identification....

Handplane identification....

I'm building a replica of the Henry Studley tool chest and have hit a brick wall trying to identify (and locate) two of the planes within the lower left side of the chest. Don Williams wrote a book on the chest entitled "Virtuoso" and gave a brief description of these two planes, however, I'm still having a difficult time knowing exactly what I am looking for. I've included pictures and descriptions below.I believe the chest was made roughly around 1905-1915 and the rest of the tools in the chest seem to be consistent with that period, save for the few items replaced with contemporary tools. Both planes are marked as "Stanley/ Bailey" on the irons. Their dimensions are not consistent with standard sizes (1-8 and everything in between). Thanks very much for any advice/direction you can provide.

PS Double click the images and they'll show in the proper orientation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Howdy Peter,

The two planes are type 4 or earlier based on lack of lateral adjustment levers. The first one is a #3, determined by the blade being 1-3/4".

The second plane is a #5.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I'm building a replica of the Henry Studley tool chest and have hit a brick wall trying to identify (and locate) two of the planes within the lower left side of the chest.
    Your real challenge will be finding a #1 plane to put inside the arched area. The #9 miter plane will also likely give your wallet fits.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Thanks very much for the information Jim. I'm thrown off a bit because the sole lengths aren't exact to the number 4 and 5, however, I assume patterns change over decades of production (?)

RE: the No 1 and 9, absolutely. I'm deciding whether or not to put down 1,000$ on a no.1 in decent shape or save 750$ and put a Lie Nielsen in there. I've got a line on a repaired no. 9 at the moment. Well see how that works out. Thanks again Jim.

Hi Peter,

The length reported for a #3 in the Superior Works Patrick's Blood and Gore site, lists the length of a #3 as 8 inches. However, I have 2 Stanley size #3s, and a replacement body for one of the damaged #3, all three happen to be Bedrocks, #603s. None of them are 8" long.

Two are flat sides, and have a length of 8&5/8th inches and the other is an earlier round side and has a length of 8&3/4 inches. This length does not include the raised portion at the heel that supports the tote. On the #3s and #4s, especially the earlier ones with a raised portion at the heel, you do not count the raised portion in the length. It is my understanding that Stanley varied the lengths of their planes a little from time to time, for the example the earliest Bedrocks were a bit shorter than the later ones.

Thus none of my size 3 Stanley's are the length listed on the Blood and Gore site. However, again, they are bedrocks not Bailey's. I also have read, again, that lengths vary a bit. Thus, I have questions on the length of the #3 sizes. All three of them are 2&1/16 inches wide.

I don't know about the Bailey #3s because I don't have a Bailey #3. Bailey #4, #5, #6, and #7, yes, but no #3s.

At any rate, I would not worry too much about the exact lengths of your plane. If it is about 8 to 9 inches long and has an iron about 1&3/4 inches wide, it is virtually certain that it is a #3, as Jim point out. The defining measure in my view is the width of the iron.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 11-14-2017 at 9:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    The defining measure in my view is the width of the iron.
    +1 on that

jtk