Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How old is elderly?

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    How old is elderly? To me, elderly is a state, not an age. I think of "elderly" as the point at which people start to visibly show their advanced age - shuffling walk, shaky hands, frail, etc. Nothing wrong with that - it's just the way God made the world to work. All I can do is smile or nod respectfully and ask if they could use a hand. We'll all get there, if we're fortunate.
    I think Fred sums it up. That is the way I look at people too. I have several "elderly" friends who are in their 60's and 70's because of the abuses they put their bodies through, while I have several "older" friends who are in their 80's and 90's who still have a lot to teach us youngsters.

In just a few years 1990 will be 30 years ago. When I think "30 years ago," I still think 1970.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

this thread reminded me of a youtubed presentation at a Kaiser Permanente (sp?) conference on aging. It's a little risque but I hope no one finds it offensive.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ LR2qZ0A8vic?rel=0

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    t 57 I would call you young. Old doesn't start till way later.
    A
    I don’t feel old, but I don’t feel young anymore either. I’m sticking to my story, I’m experienced.

I am mentally young but some of my joints are 100 years old according to my doctor. Of course some of my joints and other enhancements are only a couple of years old.

When I was 46, my doctor said I had the hip joints of a 75 year old. Thank God for replacement joints.

I am 83 and working hard at staving off the elderly tag. Last month I completed an 8’ entertainment center, produced and posted to a web site one meaningful picture every day for 31 days straight, did all my own yard work, bought a new car, waxed it and cooked most of my own meals. I am definitely old but do not consider myself elderly. My dog who I walk at least two miles every day would probably agree.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Gordo,

You are my hero.

Keep it up.

Rick P
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Eyre View Post
    I am 83 and working hard at staving off the elderly tag. Last month I completed an 8’ entertainment center, produced and posted to a web site one meaningful picture every day for 31 days straight, did all my own yard work, bought a new car, waxed it and cooked most of my own meals. I am definitely old but do not consider myself elderly. My dog who I walk at least two miles every day would probably agree.
    Good for you Gordon! I'm a lot younger than you and I got exhausted just reading your post.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

It's funny how that aging thing works. My dad is 77, took reasonably good care of himself throughout his life, and kept active. Last 3 years have been pretty down hill though. He and his wife just moved out of their house into senior housing. He's got something kind of like Parkinson's that apparently isn't and had to give up woodworking, daily walks, the accordion, and a lot of his other favorite things. Hard to watch the decline, but he has had many good years.

My mother on the other hand, is 8 days younger and just got back from a three week trip to Israel and Jordan with a six mile walk in and out of Petra. She finally decided to retire last year, but ended up working part time instead. She is in great shape and doesn't even have any grey hair. Go figure. For whatever reason, that side of the family ages slower than normal people; they all look and act 10-20 years younger than their actual age. Glad I take after that side I'd hate to have to act my real age!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Does this new shop and "work around the house" wardrobe choice make my elderly?
    Ummmmm........YES!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Ummmmm........YES!
    ROFLOL. I guess it does. That said, I haven't had to stop and re-jigger my clothing even once this week while doing my stairwell construction project in the shop. Not. Once. I'll take "the look" for the convenience it brings!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    You are elderly when you realize it is not worth the risk of buying green bananas.
    Nominated for Quote of the day.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Research indicates older people say old age starts at 58.....my 58 year old brother agrees. That said, my 87 year old father who still works and has hobbies of woodworking and carving says he feels young.

For me, buying a new table saw would accomplish more than just the shear enjoyment of using a saw that is better than my old one. More importantly, though (and I don't want to start a Sawstop discussion), is that you can buy a new saw which guarantees that, as you get older you won't cut your fingers off in a moment where you lose concentration. That's what I found the most comforting about my new saw. I'm not any less careful. I'm just less worried about an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    For me, buying a new table saw would accomplish more than just the shear enjoyment of using a saw that is better than my old one. More importantly, though (and I don't want to start a Sawstop discussion), is that you can buy a new saw which guarantees that, as you get older you won't cut your fingers off in a moment where you lose concentration. That's what I found the most comforting about my new saw. I'm not any less careful. I'm just less worried about an injury.
    Ha! "shear enjoyment" in a post about table saw safety - well played sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Having recently passed my 75th birthday, I got to wondering ....what is a senior citizen? I always assumed age 65, when you are expected to retire was the senior citizen threshold. Then kids at taco stands started offering me a senior discount when I was under 50. Hey, they said 'do you want a senior discount?', and I said 'YES, I'll take any discount I can get". Been asking for it ever since.

So, now that I am certainly a senior, I am wondering ......at what age do I become 'elderly'? My dad did pretty well until he was 80, then fell off rapidly, dying at 87. I hope to have another 5 pretty good years coming, God willing. Sometimes I wonder if I am foolish buying a new table saw right now, but hey, the wife said it was OK, then booked a trip to Germany.

So....How old do you think is elderly?
    I have seen some people at 60 who think like the very elderly and some "old" who think and act young.