Thread: It is a start..

It is a start..

At least. Had some pieces of Maple sitting around....decided to build something..different, this time around..
    blank.jpg
    Took one 1x4 and ripped it down the center. gave me two of these blanks
    handle.jpg
    A bit of bandsaw work....a couple of holes drilled. There is also a 1/4" hole at the "top" for a piece of all-thread...
    I also ripped a 1" wide strip from the other 1 x 4..
    size.jpg
    Yeah, about that long. Need to cut a couple tenons, and chop a couple mortises...
    stretcher.jpg
    Blade is from a Butcher's Meat saw....11 ppi was what I counted. Seems to have been filed as a crosscut.

Will need to round the edges off all the sharp corners ( spokeshave?) and see about a 2' piece of 1/4" all-thread, a wing nut, and a washer.
    One end get bent down into the mortise, the other gets the wing nut.
    It is a start at least....

Oh no you didn't....... Yep, he did!

That is awesome Steve.

Do you have an intended use, or just playing around to see how it comes out?

It will be a small crosscut saw. Was trying to find SOME use for those Butcher saws.....way too big for the steaks I have.....

I assume you'll need to refile the teeth? Looks rather fine from the pictures.

Tooth count came out at 11 ppi, with plenty of set. Tenons have been cut, need to chop two mortises.

You're skills have developed incredibly Steven. Congrats to you. Curious to see how this saw turns out.
    Peter

Hey steven, what is a meat saw? I'm thinking it doesn't take much tension on meat saw blade as compared to, for example, pine or maple. Curious to see how this will work for you as that blade appears to be rather wide which will make it difficult to get up to much tension.

Worked a while on the Maple parts. Spokeshave to ease all the corners..
    IMG_2418 (640x480).jpg
    Not sure who made the spokeshave..
    .IMG_2422 (640x480).jpg
    Then a bt of sanding. Chisel was for these..
    IMG_2419 (640x480).jpg
    Test fits..
    IMG_2416 (640x480).jpg
    Got both ends done, added the saw blade and it's parts
    IMG_2420 (640x480).jpg
    And, since I still have to go out and BUY the rod for the tensioner...a clamp took it's place, for now...
    IMG_2421 (640x480).jpg
    As for that box in the background?
    IMG_2415.jpg
    The 1st coat of The Infamous Witch's Brew has been applied.

Ok, first off, there was ZERO Mountain Dews in the house this morning..grrrrrrr

So, went to the store to fix that problem, stopped at the BORG and picked up a 5/16" all-thread x 2' also got the washer and wingnut to match...found the 1/4" AT was too flimsy....went with the bigger size.

Got back home, had to fry some Bacon, and some Flapjacks for supper....by request.
    Finally got the all-thread installed..
    IMG_2425 (640x480).jpg
    Wingnut end.....ground off the excess....
    IMG_2426.jpg
    Other end was "folded" into a mortise... Cranked things all nice and tight, blade even made a "twang" when tapped...
    IMG_2424 (640x480).jpg
    Not much of a rip saw, but works great as a crosscut saw. Wasn't after a "Turning saw", have coping saws for that..
    IMG_2427 (640x480).jpg
    This shows the exit of the saw cut....more of an operator error, takes a bit of practice to use one of these...
    IMG_2428 (640x480).jpg
    The Butcher's saws were maybe a dollar bill at a yard sale, the "Store Bought" items were $3.31 counting tax. The Maple? was leftovers from another project. One way to use up scraps?

Two coats of Amber Shellac are now on the saw....
    IMG_2433 (640x480).jpg
    Calling this saw done.

I still have this 24" DisstonUSA..
    IMG_2442 (640x480).jpg
    Hate to just let it rust away.....we'll see....

Now, I need to find a place to hang the "new" saw up. Using it for light crosscut work. Need to practice sawing with it, it is a little different to use...than a D-8....

Hi Steven,

The tightening rod looks like a unique design, I have never seen one like that, but it looks like it works well. Have you seen such before, or was it your idea to your knowledge?

Anyway, I love to see scraps used up usefully and also to make what looks like a good bow saw on the very cheap.....can't beat it!

Good job.

Stew

The rod idea came from that video by GE Hong/Traditional Chinese Woodworking on youtube. he used a plain steel rod, threaded at one end.