Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dining Table Inspired by the Greene & Greene Thorsen House Table

Dining Table Inspired by the Greene & Greene Thorsen House Table

Here's a few images of a dining table I recently completed. The design is based on the Greene & Greene Thorsen House dining table. The top is elliptical which added some complexity to the construction and is made from shop sawn pommelle figured sapele veneer. As shown here, without the leaves, the table measures 65" x 75". Adding the four 15" leaves brings the overall length to 135" with seating for twelve guests.

IMG_1526.jpg

The remainder of the table is quarter sawn sapele.

IMG_1529.jpg

There are 142 square ebony plugs, 32 splines and 22 rectangular plugs in this table.

fullsizeoutput_203.jpg

The finish is General Finishes dye stain with Target Coatings EM6000 water borne lacquer top coat.

IMG_1536.jpg

This table took about 500 hours to complete. Thanks for looking!

That's a beautiful table, Robert. I particularly like the uneven finger joints with ebony plugs.

If I were to walk into that room I would look for a chair so I could sit down next that table. I like it a lot.
    All the space under make's it inviting. Nice work
    Thanks for sharing
    Aj

Thanks Mark. The finger joints were actually one of the easiest parts of the project to execute. I used a simple router template, roughed out the fingers on the bandsaw and cleaned them up with a pattern bit using my template.

Andrew, the chairs are in the design phase right now. I'll post them when they are complete.

Blog Entries
    Wonderfully done Robert. Cool interpretation of a classic piece. The fact that you get to live with that table and have that expansion capability can't be beat. I've seen people couple the Thorsen table with Blacker chairs and its a cool match; not that the Thorsen dining chairs aren't nice as well. Again, beautifully done and I like your take on the table edge accents.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The Blacker House chairs are beautiful but I think they are beyond my chair making ability at the moment. I really like the Thorsen chairs but the wife actually prefers the Gamble House chairs so that is what's on the drawing board right now. Having never made a chair before I decided to take the class offered by Marc Adams a few weeks ago. Great learning experience, well worth the week invested. It will take me a while to Complete a full set of twelve given my limited shop space but should be a fun and challenging project.

Absolutely stunning work!

I need to find a source book for Greene and Greene furniture!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Big time kudos Robert. Beautiful design, detailing and craftsmanship. A very well executed piece that make a G&G fan like me smile, and a little envious.

Agree with the others about your fine work. I also have chairs planned and have not made them before. I began with poplar proto a couple of winters ago and hope to return to the task in a couple of months. Very interested in continuing to follow your work.

Which class did you take at Marc Adams school?

Thanks for sharing,
    David
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Thanks for the kind words Bill & David.

The class I took was the Gamble House side chair. Bob Lang was the instructor. Marc posted some photos from the week here:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/The.MASW...56421174581840

Wow...nice table!!! I want to fondle that thing when I visit next week!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Of course Jim, I'd be happy to show you!

Fondle? I want to rub my face on it!

Seriously though, great job Robert. That is some exceptional work. My wife and I are huge Stickley/G&G/Arts and Crafts fans. That piece has the stuff.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Thanks Rob!

I think Robert's family would not appreciate lip-prints on their nice dining table, not that finger prints are appreciated, either...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...