Thread: Widget identification and any value in these items?

Widget identification and any value in these items?

Hi guys,

I've got an old walker turner L1152 I picked up earlier this year and I've started the turning bug.
    Well the first whoops happened about a month ago and broke the banjo. Ive acquired a banjo to replace this one off an old delta that is more robust but I need a plate on the bottom in lieu of a washer. Is there any value in the pieces remaining or should I just remove the bottom plate and drill it out to work with the new banjo? (ie chunking the rest)

Second questions is the widget collection. Several have tapers but none have bearings like a live center. I'm lost on what these things are or what they are for. They all came with the lathe in a box.

Thanks
    -les
    IMG_1659.jpgIMG_1658.jpgIMG_1660.jpg

I would drill out the plate and use it.
    The "widgets":
    * morse taper extension - if it fits your lathe, keep it. Will come in handy once in a while
    * dead center - I use one every now and then because it is much shorter than a live center and gives you more length between centers
    * center with changeable points - If it does not have bearings, I don't know why you would use it.

It's hard to tell from the photos (and with no dimensions) but the second one might be a morse taper adapter that lets you use a tool with a bigger taper, e.g. a use something with a #3 taper on a #2 socket. I have some of those but they go the other way, let me use a smaller taper in a larger socket. For example, I have some taper shank drills that have a #1 MT so I have an adapter that fits into the #2 MT in the tailstock or headstock.

It's hard to tell from the pictures but the first one kind of looks like a small cup chuck with an MT taper.

Your pictures are pretty small!

JKJ

the value lies with whom ever is holding the item in question.

value is when a potential buyer wants to give $ for it. Sometimes it is a matter of finding the right buyer. Saw some fancy antiques including some old China sell at a local auction a few years back. The plates had gold rims and fancy pictures of a US flag that only had 38 stars as I recall. There must have been 20 of these plates. About $10 dollars each for the lot. Turns out they were plates from the White house from early 1900's. They sold at one of the high brow auction houses in New England six months later for several thousand dollars. It also takes knowing where to sell and market them. As for your items, I suppose there may be turning collectors who have an old treadle lathe and need those centers, as accessories to an original lathe. Otherwise, they are pretty much scrap iron. I noted from some posts on other sites that there is some interest in collecting century old (and older) lathe chisels from some famous makers.

Thanks guys,
    I'll update the pics tonight, as well as drill out the plate, it'll save me time with a file and bar stock.