Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy Chest help

Heres what I ended up with. Its functional. Would do some things different in the next one, if there ever is. toy chest 4.jpgtoy chest 3.jpgtoy chest 2.jpgtoy chest 2.jpgToy Chest 1.jpg

Nice box Jim. The horizontal grain run works for me in this build. For my taste, the handles are a little clunky, but it is not my box so who cares? How did you connect the rails to the legs? More than once I have built a second item after completing the first one because "now I really know how to build this because that was not the way" and the recipient of the second item gets the better of the two while I keep the first (mistakey) one.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Nice box Jim. The horizontal grain run works for me in this build. For my taste, the handles are a little clunky, but it is not my box so who cares? How did you connect the rails to the legs? More than once I have built a second item after completing the first one because "now I really know how to build this because that was not the way" and the recipient of the second item gets the better of the two while I keep the first (mistakey) one.
    Rails are connected with glue and some Kreg screws. Two in each connection. Thats one thing I would do different, would use Mortise and tennon type joints.

Handles are a bit big, could have used 1/2" pipe. the box about 150lbs it seems! All solid wood, no ply.

M&T leg/rail connections is indeed another step in the woodworking evolution, but still looks like a nice box to me and it will probably outlast its use. Good stuff and we are waiting on the next project.
    David