Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 Trotecs off of 1 computer?

These models I have from Trotec can't store jobs into internal memory. Data has to be streamed. I had an Epilog once that had onboard internal memory for holding jobs and that was nice.

Well, then Newegg has refurbished computers all day long for under $200. Buy enough for however many machines you need and set them all up.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Virtual machine would likely work EXCEPT for the fact they have to share output resources- so while you could connect 2 lasers, you still can only run one at a time.

Quite honestly, I don't know why Trotec doesn't allow for one computer to run multiple instances of JC to run multiple machines, AND the ability to run multiple machines from ONE instance of JC. This 1-computer-1-machine take-it-or-leave-it method just says 'hobby machine' to me, and exactly the opposite of what's necessary for high-volume work. Don't want to sound like I'm bashing, but the fact we're having this discussion tells me JC needs an upgrade
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Virtual machine would likely work EXCEPT for the fact they have to share output resources- so while you could connect 2 lasers, you still can only run one at a time.

Quite honestly, I don't know why Trotec doesn't allow for one computer to run multiple instances of JC to run multiple machines, AND the ability to run multiple machines from ONE instance of JC. This 1-computer-1-machine take-it-or-leave-it method just says 'hobby machine' to me, and exactly the opposite of what's necessary for high-volume work. Don't want to sound like I'm bashing, but the fact we're having this discussion tells me JC needs an upgrade
    One machine running multiple instances of JC could be possible, multiple machines in one instance of JC wouldn’t be possible or practical. Why? JC is actively controlling the machine, quite a bit more than just being a print spooler. It’s not like the job shows up and you select the machine and that’s the end of it - you can change power and speed while the job is running, pause, restart, change focus, etc., all from within JC. If you had multiple machines in that one instance of JC, you would have to have a way to distinguish one machine from the other and that could get ugly if you inadvertently picked the wrong one to change. Even multiple instances of JC would have potential problems, but I think they wouldn’t be as bad vs multiple lasers in one JC.

If the people in this thread actually had a Trotec and were using JC, they would understand how easy it really is to use and how powerful it is compared to pretty much anything else available. Until then, sorry, but you just don’t get how it works!

After 11 years with Trotec and JC I think Gary has said it about as well as it can be said.

If the people in this thread actually had a Trotec and were using JC, they would understand how easy it really is to use and how powerful it is compared to pretty much anything else available. Until then, sorry, but you just don’t get how it works!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Right, and this is coming from the same guy who said modern lasers were a waste of money, then bought a GCC and said how amazing it is? I agree with Gary and Mike. If you, for one split second, think a Trotec isn't a machine made for production then you truly don't understand it's power. We can do things you can't even dream about on your machines. And just for the record, Universal does the same thing. So apparently two of the 3 leading laser manufactures in the world have just been creating "hobby machines" for the last 2 decades.

I wouldn't trade my Trotec for any other machine on the market. Period. It's that powerful of a machine and Job Control system. Job Control is great because it's running your laser off the computer. So 15 years after buying a machine, your functionality is the exact same as a brand new machine because the upgrade is in Job Control, not physically on the machine, like these machines that require you to be stuck on Windows 95 because their hardware can't handle anything newer. I call that a brilliant move instead of forcing customers to be stuck on legacy equipment or buy new machines.

The sad part is that you'll never own one and see the real benefits. But then again, you've said before that you couldn't deal with a fast machine because it would require too much of your time. You could take a bulldozer and drag 80% of those machines stuffed in your garage out and replace them with 1 machine and get near the same output
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Right, and this is coming from the same guy who said modern lasers were a waste of money, then bought a GCC and said how amazing it is? I agree with Gary and Mike. If you, for one split second, think a Trotec isn't a machine made for production then you truly don't understand it's power. We can do things you can't even dream about on your machines. And just for the record, Universal does the same thing. So apparently two of the 3 leading laser manufactures in the world have just been creating "hobby machines" for the last 2 decades.

Ok, so now I'm even more confused, what does Universal do the same? My Universal has memory, you download jobs to it and they could be run from the laser without any attachment to the computer.

I do agree that worrying about old computer software is stupid... the ULS will run on any windows from all the way back to Windows 10. I would be dumping anything that required me to run Windows 95 or vista or whatever ancient crap that hasn't been around sine the 90's.
    Brian Lamb

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lamb View Post
    Ok, so now I'm even more confused, what does Universal do the same? My Universal has memory, you download jobs to it and they could be run from the laser without any attachment to the computer.

I do agree that worrying about old computer software is stupid... the ULS will run on any windows from all the way back to Windows 10. I would be dumping anything that required me to run Windows 95 or vista or whatever ancient crap that hasn't been around sine the 90's.
    What year is your Universal? Our 2007 model PLS4.60 has no memory and runs off a job control system. You can’t run the machine without a computer. The benefit you gain is being able to see the last 2000 jobs you have run, pull them up without opening Corel, move them around the plate and save or adjust everything about them.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I can't remember for sure, 2003 or 2006, I talked to ULS with the serial number, but I can't find where I wrote it down. It's a X-600. After I run at the job, I just save the file and it has all the location changes and any power settings saved at the same time. Yes, I would have to open corel to recut at another time, but that's pretty easy, it's open all the time in my laptop that I use to run the machine, no different than searching through job control to find the program.
    Brian Lamb

Yes, I would have to open corel to recut at another time, but that's pretty easy, it's open all the time in my laptop that I use to run the machine, no different than searching through job control to find the program.
    It's very different. Are your settings stored in that corel file? Nope. They are stored in Corel. The point was that ULS no longer makes machines that work the way yours does. ULS and Trotec all run a Job Control system. They do it for a reason. Because it works.

It's always people who don't have it that say it's not worth it and it doesn't work. It's like comparing the features of a smart phone to a flip phone. Are they both phones? Yes. Does your phone work? Yes. Can I do more with a smart phone than you can do with your flip phone? Absolutely. Exact same thing with Job Control systems.

I can't remember for sure, 2003 or 2006, I talked to ULS with the serial number, but I can't find where I wrote it down. It's a X-600. After I run at the job, I just save the file and it has all the location changes and any power settings saved at the same time. Yes, I would have to open corel to recut at another time, but that's pretty easy, it's open all the time in my laptop that I use to run the machine, no different than searching through job control to find the program.
    Another big difference with Job Control is that you can save the plate (complete with layout, speed, power, etc.) to your customer folder - simply double click on it to open in JC and it's ready to go, no muss, no fuss, just click the play button and off it goes!

It's very different. Are your settings stored in that corel file? Nope. They are stored in Corel. The point was that ULS no longer makes machines that work the way yours does. ULS and Trotec all run a Job Control system. They do it for a reason. Because it works.

It's always people who don't have it that say it's not worth it and it doesn't work. It's like comparing the features of a smart phone to a flip phone. Are they both phones? Yes. Does your phone work? Yes. Can I do more with a smart phone than you can do with your flip phone? Absolutely. Exact same thing with Job Control systems.
    Scott,

I never said it's not worth it and it doesn't work.... I'm just trying to understand and educate myself about the different varieties of machines and software. As for my settings being saved in that Corel file and your answer is Nope, that's not correct, my settings are most certainly saved in that Corel File. Any file I have cut, if saved after I have made any adjustments, can be opened again and all my settings are remembered and ready to go.

I just went and watched some video's on Trotec's Job Control... about the only advantage I see without actually using it is that it has a material database integrated into it, so you just choose the material and it sets your settings. That would be handy, but my Steno pad next to the machine has all the settings in it that I've dialed in for my machine also... not much of a stretch to grab the pad, and in my print preferences screen, set the power accordingly.

I don't see it as much different than saying six of one, half dozen of another....
    Brian Lamb

Scott,

I never said it's not worth it and it doesn't work.... I'm just trying to understand and educate myself about the different varieties of machines and software. As for my settings being saved in that Corel file and your answer is Nope, that's not correct, my settings are most certainly saved in that Corel File. Any file I have cut, if saved after I have made any adjustments, can be opened again and all my settings are remembered and ready to go.

I just went and watched some video's on Trotec's Job Control... about the only advantage I see without actually using it is that it has a material database integrated into it, so you just choose the material and it sets your settings. That would be handy, but my Steno pad next to the machine has all the settings in it that I've dialed in for my machine also... not much of a stretch to grab the pad, and in my print preferences screen, set the power accordingly.

I don't see it as much different than saying six of one, half dozen of another....
    Your settings aren't saved in your Corel files. You TYPED the settings in a text. You still have to renter that in. As someone who's been around CNC as long as you have, and you have appreciated the difference between an NC machine running off paper tape and a CNC machine that can have data streamed in and out of buffers, then I would think you would appreciate the leaps forward in technology. If you think the only thing a Job Control system does is keep the same stuff that's on your notepad, you are missing it completely.

Like I said, it's the difference in a flip phone and a smart phone. Both make calls. Outside of that, they aren't very similar. Me, to run my business, I'll take the smart phone. Want to run your business off a flip phone, that's fine with me too, but don't pretend that your flip phone is superior to my smart phone because it's not, not in any way.

OK, I just got in from running a few jobs and I was wrong, the actual power settings are not saved, my mistake... guess I just got lucky opening few repeat jobs that happened to have the same power settings.

I understand improved technology, and yes, machines with memory were a hell of a step forward over ones without. We also have dealt with minuscule amounts of memory in the actual machines in relation to the size of the programs. It's not uncommon to have machines with less than 1mb of memory and have programs into the 5 or 6mb range, can cause for some issues.

That is why I wonder at the Trotec having no memory at all and being run essentially drip feed like we have to do with old low memory CNC's. You keep telling me it's like a flip phone vs. a smart phone, but you aren't telling me what the differences or advantages are???

You seem to have your feathers in a ruffle here, and all I'm asking is what is so great about the job control type of software and having to have a separate computer for each machine.... I mean if we want to step up to current technology, we should be able to have one computer sending print/laser jobs to as many lasers as we want to have in our shop. As it is, with job control it sounds like because the machine has no memory, or a control panel to do any "at the machine" adjustments, then you have to have a pc sitting next to it to be able to control it.

Give me some "for instance's" of how great this job control software is, so I can understand it better.

Thanks!
    Brian Lamb

I wouldn't trade my Trotec for any other machine on the market. Period. It's that powerful of a machine and Job Control system. Job Control is great because it's running your laser off the computer. So 15 years after buying a machine, your functionality is the exact same as a brand new machine because the upgrade is in Job Control, not physically on the machine, like these machines that require you to be stuck on Windows 95 because their hardware can't handle anything newer. I call that a brilliant move instead of forcing customers to be stuck on legacy equipment or buy new machines.

The sad part is that you'll never own one and see the real benefits. But then again, you've said before that you couldn't deal with a fast machine because it would require too much of your time. You could take a bulldozer and drag 80% of those machines stuffed in your garage out and replace them with 1 machine and get near the same output
    glad you put a smiley there because you simply can't be serious? Last night I had 12 of my 15 machines loaded up with jobs, the only 3 machines NOT loaded, my BIL's-well, it IS loaded but HE does that work-- the vinyl cutter, and the 3200.

-3400#1 is running off silver (alum alloy) platters

-3400#2 is running 600 roller coaster bumpers, engraving date code info

-5000XT#1 was running Allen Bradley 559 legend plates, more of the same to follow

-5000XT#2 was cutting holes in a fiberglass Hoffman box lid, next up is several 1/8" Rowmark labels and operator plates

-5000 is engraving a crapload of cowbells, it's Olympics season

-IS400 was engraving Allen Bradley 100WE plastic legend plates

-IS700 is engraving a box full of aluminum operator panels

-3400#3 was engraving stainless microphone bodies, aluminum boxes are next

-fiber is deep engraving some stainless ID plates, more to follow

-LS900 is in the middle of a few hundred SS ID plates, which I stop occasionally to run leather, glass, other stainless, Rowmark etc-

-GCC was engraving a pair of stainless radiator covers that fit old G-body GM cars, and ran off a couple hundred $ worth of Rowmark today, 100+ flasks are next up- so like it or not, the old thing IS pretty amazing-

-Triumph was Cermarking a cowbell, finished cermarking a small batch of aluminum ID tags, and will be running another 100 cowbells tonight...

So, which 80% of these machines- all paid for by the way, all reliable as hell, and did I mention PAID for and earning pure profit- should I bulldoze out of here?

===other than the proprietary fiber, which I wish wasn't, I composed, set up and ran every job and machine using TWO computers. Do you seriously believe that being required to use TWELVE different computers to run twelve separate machines, regardless of how spectacularly magical job control may be, would somehow SAVE me time?

Could I make use of a Trotec? Of course, but the way I work, I don't need one... And THAT would be the waste of money I was talking about.

Think I'm about due for a break...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle