Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 Trotecs off of 1 computer?

2 Trotecs off of 1 computer?

I recently just purchased a used Speedy 400 120 watt to go along with my Speedy 400 80 watt and was wondering if you can run both lasers off of one computer?

I don't think I've seen but one person doing that, and I'm not sure how he ever figured out how to do it, since it's not something I've ever seen done, since the computer is running the laser.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Could you do it with virtual machines?
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

When I had my LMI's I used 1 computer to run them both. That was back when one had a parallel port and the other was serial. 'Course I was also running Win 3.1.
    Got my TT running off ethernet.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Did you check with Trotec? May be possible if you can install 2 different versions of Job Control, but I don't think you are meant to be able to even do that.

Why don't you want to use 2 separate computers?
    Vector Etch Laser Cutting & Engraving
    Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Trotec Speedy 360 120W
    Trotec Speedy 100 60W

What's the connection, USB, ethernet? Can the software be loaded twice? Can the software be copied to, and loaded from, 2 different folders?

I found out not long ago while poking around in my new (to me) computer, that I can choose which of the 8 processors I want to dedicate to certain programs. Each USB port has its own COM port number, and a second ethernet card could be configured separately--

Just thinking out loud, but running 2 programs thru 2 different procs, each configured to a unique USB port or ethernet card might be do-able?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Maybe I don't understand the issue... but couldn't you just load the printer driver twice and call one Laser 1 and the other Laser 2? Set up the Laser 1 to print out of the one USB port, the second out of another? Then you wouldn't even need two copies of Corel open, just print right from Corel using whichever printer you wanted to. At least that's how I think I could/would do it with my ULS if I had two machines.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

That's a good question.

The problem is that Trotec has their own printer queue software called JobControl. All print jobs to the laser go to this software, which apparently can only run 1 laser and not 2 from it.

OK, so you are not using the print command from your OS, like windows 10 or whatever? You do a job in Corel, then have to load the file (.cdr?) into Job control and then print the file out of it? Seems kind of bass ackwards and extra steps to me, but I've only ever experienced the printer drivers from ULS, not sure if that's good or bad, but I find them easy to use.
    Brian Lamb

Another thought.... years ago, 1979 to be exact, we acquired a bunch of CNC machines in the machine shop. At the time you either made paper tapes and carried them out to the machine in the shop and fed them into the tape reader, or you set up RS232 communication to each machine and had a tape punch/reader machine in the office. It was better than the guy in the shop getting oil on the paper tape and then having it go wacky in the machine.

Due to about 5 machines being fed by the one punch, we had a switch box that was ABCDE type of thing, you chose which machine you wanted the code to go to and it sent it correctly. Now if the Trotec machines don't run from loaded memory (like my ULS) then this won't work. But if you load a job into the machine and then can run it without the computer hooked up, then you might be able to set up multiple USB or parallel ports driving each machine of the same computer. Seems kind of archaic in today's day and age that you can't run a whole shop off one computer.
    Brian Lamb

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lamb View Post
    OK, so you are not using the print command from your OS, like windows 10 or whatever? You do a job in Corel, then have to load the file (.cdr?) into Job control and then print the file out of it? Seems kind of bass ackwards and extra steps to me, but I've only ever experienced the printer drivers from ULS, not sure if that's good or bad, but I find them easy to use.
    Not exactly how it works. You print the job from Corel using the Trotec print driver. You select the parameters you want for that job and send it to Job Control. Think of Job Control as the “Print Manager” from Windows, it holds the jobs that are going to the laser. The difference is that you can select which job goes when as well as changing any parameters you want to change (even on the fly while its running), and you can also place several jobs onto the virtual laser bed (the “plate” to Job Control). You can set it up to AutoPrint and bypass manually placing jobs in JCX, but for me those jobs are pretty rare, I use the power of JCX all the time.

It sounds like Job Control basically acts as a print spooler. And since there's a Trotec print driver, then Windows should consider the machine-or Job Control- a printer... If this is true, then a second print driver should be able to be installed, named differently (if needed) and configured to use a different port for a second machine.

---should be...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    It sounds like Job Control basically acts as a print spooler. And since there's a Trotec print driver, then Windows should consider the machine-or Job Control- a printer... If this is true, then a second print driver should be able to be installed, named differently (if needed) and configured to use a different port for a second machine.

---should be...
    Still not quite how it works Kev, or how it could work. In Corel, you print to the Trotec and then it goes to Job Control. Having two Trotec printers would do no good because they would both go to Job Control. What is needed is two printers *and* two Job Control, or a way in Job Control to direct the job to a particular laser. Failing this, it’s really easy to have multiple computers setup with Job Control and use a simple KVM switch to run them.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Tull View Post
    Could you do it with virtual machines?
    That was my thought.