Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2 Trotecs off of 1 computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lamb View Post
    That is why I wonder at the Trotec having no memory at all and being run essentially drip feed like we have to do with old low memory CNC's. You keep telling me it's like a flip phone vs. a smart phone, but you aren't telling me what the differences or advantages are???

Give me some "for instance's" of how great this job control software is, so I can understand it better.

Thanks!
    It has been asked and answered dozens of times over the years. As someone who has run and programmed NC and CNC machines since the early 80’s, I’ve lived through paper tapes up through robotic machines that set themselves up, change their own tools and fixtures. I’ve run Machining Cells that you loaded the jobs into a computer and it figured out which machine was available at what time and it moved jobs from machine to machine, based on the schedule, so I’m well versed in machine technology. You don’t have to believe what I say, but it’s not just me, there are some of the most seasoned veterans in this industry on the forum and they say the same things. Surely we couldn’t have all been fooled by this 1 comptuer 1 Laser fad? Again, why is Universal doing it that way since 2006? 11 years of doing it and they still do it? Surely there MUST be something to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    glad you put a smiley there because you simply can't be serious? Last night I had 12 of my 15 machines loaded up with jobs, the only 3 machines NOT loaded, my BIL's-well, it IS loaded but HE does that work-- the vinyl cutter, and the 3200.

-3400#1 is running off silver (alum alloy) platters

-3400#2 is running 600 roller coaster bumpers, engraving date code info

-5000XT#1 was running Allen Bradley 559 legend plates, more of the same to follow

-5000XT#2 was cutting holes in a fiberglass Hoffman box lid, next up is several 1/8" Rowmark labels and operator plates

-5000 is engraving a crapload of cowbells, it's Olympics season
    '
    -IS400 was engraving Allen Bradley 100WE plastic legend plates

-IS700 is engraving a box full of aluminum operator panels

-3400#3 was engraving stainless microphone bodies, aluminum boxes are next

-fiber is deep engraving some stainless ID plates, more to follow

-LS900 is in the middle of a few hundred SS ID plates, which I stop occasionally to run leather, glass, other stainless, Rowmark etc-

-GCC was engraving a pair of stainless radiator covers that fit old G-body GM cars, and ran off a couple hundred $ worth of Rowmark today, 100+ flasks are next up- so like it or not, the old thing IS pretty amazing-

-Triumph was Cermarking a cowbell, finished cermarking a small batch of aluminum ID tags, and will be running another 100 cowbells tonight...

Could I make use of a Trotec? Of course, but the way I work, I don't need one... And THAT would be the waste of money I was talking about.

Think I'm about due for a break...
    If you had 12 machines running and priced at $60 per hour per machine (low end), then you should have been making at least $700 per hour. If you are making those kinds of rates, then you should be pulling in over $2,000,000 a year as a one man shop, more or less. Some how I doubt that’s the case.

Just because YOU don’t have the need for it because of the work you do, doesn’t mean it’s a waste of money for people that do use it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Just in case anybody thinks that you must dedicate a pc to the Trotec, I run the Trotec, 5 various printers, email, bookkeeping, Corel, Office etc. from one Asus desktop machine. I also have a dedicated UPS PC and printer and an old XP pro which runs my Newing Hall.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I was told we could not run both trotec lasers at the same time from my computer, but I do. I think the reason I can get around it is one is a rayjet and the other the Speedy 360 Flexx so 2 different print drivers. I have had once or twice where one will stop for some reason in the middle of a run - but I think it was just a coincidence.
    Amy Heise

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Heise View Post
    I was told we could not run both trotec lasers at the same time from my computer, but I do. I think the reason I can get around it is one is a rayjet and the other the Speedy 360 Flexx so 2 different print drivers. I have had once or twice where one will stop for some reason in the middle of a run - but I think it was just a coincidence.
    Who told you that, your dealer or Trotec tech support?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    What year is your Universal? Our 2007 model PLS4.60 has no memory and runs off a job control system. You can’t run the machine without a computer. The benefit you gain is being able to see the last 2000 jobs you have run, pull them up without opening Corel, move them around the plate and save or adjust everything about them.
    May also depend on the model, but that's how my 2005-vintage VL200 works.

In the context of this thread, the problem is that, while I think you can install multiple instances of the print driver* and job control system (or as ULS calls it, VCP, for "virtual control panel"), I suspect they'll all store the intermediate job files to the same directory: there's certainly nothing in the installation process that allows you to specify or change that directory name.

(*My VL200 has two print drivers, the normal, AKA "Advanced", driver and a truly stupid one with canned speed/power levels that I never use. But they both go through the same VCP and store their files in the same place.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    May also depend on the model, but that's how my 2005-vintage VL200 works.

In the context of this thread, the problem is that, while I think you can install multiple instances of the print driver* and job control system (or as ULS calls it, VCP, for "virtual control panel"), I suspect they'll all store the intermediate job files to the same directory: there's certainly nothing in the installation process that allows you to specify or change that directory name.

(*My VL200 has two print drivers, the normal, AKA "Advanced", driver and a truly stupid one with canned speed/power levels that I never use. But they both go through the same VCP and store their files in the same place.)
    Trotec Job Control allows you to specify the directory for the job files. This allows you to use several computers to send work to the laser.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Trotec Job Control allows you to specify the directory for the job files. This allows you to use several computers to send work to the laser.
    Actually, that I can do, by sharing the fixed job directory, installing the print driver on another computer, and setting up a symbolic link to the remote job directory. (Only one computer can run the control panel app, since it talks to the laser over USB.)

But I thought we were discussing "one computer, two lasers" rather than "two computers, one laser".
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Actually, that I can do, by sharing the fixed job directory, installing the print driver on another computer, and setting up a symbolic link to the remote job directory. (Only one computer can run the control panel app, since it talks to the laser over USB.)
    This sounds similar to how JC works. Every computer can send the print job to JC in a common folder on the network then the computer actually connected to the laser has its own copy of JC running and you can send them to the laser from there.

But I thought we were discussing "one computer, two lasers" rather than "two computers, one laser".
    We were but Lee mentioned multiple computers and one laser.

We were but Lee mentioned multiple computers and one laser.
    (scratches head) For the life of me I don't recall doing that...

(scratches head) For the life of me I don't recall doing that...
    I misread your previous post as meaning multiple computers with one laser...

I misread your previous post as meaning multiple computers with one laser...
    I did, but that was in response to your post:

I did, but that was in response to your post:
    So now I'm replying to posts with reference to my own posts thinking that they were someone else... When I start arguing with myself then I'll take a day off.