Thread: NOVA DVR control panel upgrade experience question

NOVA DVR control panel upgrade experience question

Another SMC member recently upgraded to the newish NOVA DVR control panel. While he is generally happy with the upgrade, it was not a smooth transition. It seems the NOVA may have a quality control issue as he had to have the panel replaced a couple of times.

He told me that customer service was good, and that matches my experience with NOVA. Still that's a lot of hassle. Maybe it's just a matter of working out the kinks in a new product?

Has anyone else made this upgrade an what has your experience been?

Thanks,
    Richard
    RD

Don't know myself, but as a DVR XP owner myself, I'm also following the same question when I see them.

Are you talking about the DVR upgrade motor and controller for a Nova 1624? I did mine in June of 2016, and ran flawlessly until a few weeks ago. The lathe would stop running with a blank screen after running for only a minute or so. The problem happened on a Sunday. I called them Monday, and had a new replacement motor and controller at my door on Friday. I was happy with the first one, and I'm happy with the replacement. I am ecstatic with the customer service.

Hi Tom,

Glad you had a good customer support experience.

I'm referring to the panel that adds a speed control knob and other features to the DVR XP. Suddenly I can't post a picture but here's a link to the description. NOVA SKU 55523

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brouillette View Post
    Are you talking about the DVR upgrade motor and controller for a Nova 1624? I did mine in June of 2016, and ran flawlessly until a few weeks ago. The lathe would stop running with a blank screen after running for only a minute or so. The problem happened on a Sunday. I called them Monday, and had a new replacement motor and controller at my door on Friday. I was happy with the first one, and I'm happy with the replacement. I am ecstatic with the customer service.
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    I'm referring to the panel that adds a speed control knob and other features to the DVR XP. Suddenly I can't post a picture but here's a link to the description. NOVA SKU 55523
    For some reason that link doesn't work for me. If a problem for others, maybe try this:
    NOVA DVR XP control panel upgrade manual

JKJ

Odd, it worked in the preview. Hmm, I couldn't post a picture earlier.

Anyway, thanks for the repost John!
    RD

I added it to my DVR 3000 as it had the correct software and it has worked like a charm. I did a review of it for More Woodturning Magazine. This is the first I heard of anyone having a problem.

I heard more from that member and he let me know that the boards were not unusable, just not meeting their "design specs."

Maybe the larger story here is that NOVA made sure that he got to where he is happy and so I'm back on board with asking Santa for one.
    RD

10. I have the DVR upgrade on my 1624 II. There were no problems with the switch, and it has been great, so far.

I did the upgrade, and am the one that had the issues, (for those on the fence).

Having the extra preset reset speeds was the biggest boon to me originally. That’s before I figured out the knob a little better. The knob, when turned, only increases the rpm by a value of five, at each “click”. It takes a lot of clicks to change you lathe speed that way. Eventually I figured out, (DOH), that if the knob is pushed in and turned, the rpm adjusts by 100 at a time. I tend to now use the knob now instead of the presets, finding it quick and simple to get to my desired speed.

One we thing that I liked better on the old panel was the ability to set the RPM of your preset speed buttons. If the new one has that capability, I’ve yet to figure out how to do it. Between the wide range covered by their presets, and the versatility of the new control knob, I’m finding that it is no longer the issue I was felt it was.

I also got the remote control with the upgrade and have had no issues with it. Teknatool support was willing to throw it in as compensation for receiving a defective panel, but when I informed them I’d already ordered and received it, they offered to throw in a set of jaws for a Nova chuck. I chose the pen turner jaw set which they sent along with the first replacement panel. Rather nice of them, I felt, as I didn’t expect anything other than a working panel.

As as I communicated to Richard, I’m happy with the upgrade despite having received two defective control panels prior to getting my current one. Both of them still allowed me to run the lathe but the first one would decrease the lathes RPMs if you touched, brushed, or sometimes even got to close to the panel while the lathe was in operation. The second one came with an in operative control knob. After the issues with the first two panels the third was “rigorously” tested prior to being sent to me. It was wrapped so well i spent more time unwrapping it than I did installing it.

All told, I’d still recommend it to others, even if I had to go through the whole experience again.

Clint
    Last edited by Clint Baxter; 11-01-2017 at 7:25 AM.

Thanks for the expanded report Clint. Once again NOVA customer support impresses.

Dear Santa,
    In addition to the Red Ryder carbine action two-hundred shot range model air rifle, I want an upgraded control panel for my DVR XP.
    RD

New panel installed

I just installed the Nova DVR XP control panel upgrade # 55523 and I thought I’d make a couple of observations for anyone doing the same. This is the newish panel with the speed dial.

Since I bought the remote at the same time as the panel, they had already plugged the remote receiver module in for me. Don’t go looking for something that’s already installed!

The panel comes with a ribbon cable that’s the same as the one already coming out of the headstock. So I removed the new cable from the new panel and simply used the existing one.

There is a bag with two parts that are not really identified. There's a USB cable with a plug that interfaces with the panel to allow future firmware upgrades. Also included is a electrical choke that goes on the main ribbon cable that goes into the headstock. They advised me to twist the cable to be able to slip the choke onto it. The choke controls interference that may adversely affect the operation of the remote.

The choke makes for a tight fit since it’s located at the bottom of the cover. I placed it about an inch or so off the control panel end of the cable. I didn’t want to stuff it in the headstock in case it might be too hard to pull it back out.

At first I didn't think I had the remote paired because, as with the old remote, you have to keep the start button depressed for a second before the lathe starts.

You don’t need to back the panel mounting screws all the way off. There may be some resistance when pulling the old panel off and putting the new one on.

Note:
    Your old remote will not pair up with the new panel.

So far so good although I have not done much more than run it through its speed range.
    RD