Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powermatic 3520 Guard

I have a Jet 1642 which uses a similar guard. I find it too distracting for finishing cuts, but I do use it for roughing blanks that are larger, off balance, or suspect in any way. I didn't use the guard at all when I first bought the lathe, but started using it after reading a couple of stories about very-experienced turners getting their faces smashed up in turning accidents. It's a small inconvenience for the protection it provides.

--Geoff

Ant thoughts for those of us with lathes that don't come with a guard or even a mount to attach one? I've seen a couple online but $$$$ for what they seem to be.

NOVA DVR XP (16" swing)
    Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    - Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    Ant thoughts for those of us with lathes that don't come with a guard or even a mount to attach one? I've seen a couple online but $$$$ for what they seem to be.

NOVA DVR XP (16" swing)
    Richard, I may have an extra cage for a Jet 1642 if you ever get down toward Knoxville. (I know, it's a long drive!) I'd have to look to remember how it attaches but I think the mount is a cast iron bracket held with screws into the headstock casting, with a hole for the pivot shaft on the cage.

JKJ

I am a relatively new turner when it comes to green wood and bowls. I try to follow all safety procedures but like to have additional barrier when rough turning heavy blanks. I also use it to support the dust collecting flex hose.

Interesting. Thanks, Kyle.

That's very kind of you John but I can't see that I'll be able to swing a trip like that very soon.

Do you think you could slip that in a flat rate envelope for me?

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Richard, I may have an extra cage for a Jet 1642 if you ever get down toward Knoxville. (I know, it's a long drive!) I'd have to look to remember how it attaches but I think the mount is a cast iron bracket held with screws into the headstock casting, with a hole for the pivot shaft on the cage.

JKJ
    Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    - Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    That's very kind of you John but I can't see that I'll be able to swing a trip like that very soon.

Do you think you could slip that in a flat rate envelope for me?
    I might well be able to. However it may require some assembly when you get it. With a welding machine.

JKJ