Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust Collector - can I use a router motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    My opinion is that a router motor is not suitable as the drive for a dust collector. I have a Hitachi M12V and the slowest it will go is 10,000 rpm. At that speed, the motor is not putting out its maximum horsepower. It is going to take a huge pulley on the fan side to slow the output down enough to spin a typical squirrel cage fan. Routers don't have good starting torque. Their power comes from speed rather than torque. It is likely that the motor will eventually burn up trying to overcome the inertia of a heavy fan, especially one that is home made.
    DCs operate at 3600 RPM; routers at 10,000->25,000 RPM; turbochargers at ~20,000->200,000 RPM; turbine engines at 10,000->500,000 RPM. All move air by means of 'impellers'.

I'd think Heath's motor would work just as well as any other motor, IF it's operated within its design envelope. As several have pointed out, this is at rather higher speeds than a typical 3600 RPM motor on a typical direct-drive blower impeller. Squirrel cage fans are designed for even lower RPM, suitable high-volume, low pressure work, but payback is that they are whisper-quite (relatively). However, if one were to spend the time and resources to spec, locate, and purchase an impeller that matches the router motor's RPM, peak power, and duty cycle, there is no reason it wouldn't function.

I use 'function' intentionally - - to mean it wouldn't fail prematurely and it would move air. How much CFM @ SP? I have no idea. Suitable for a dust collector? See Dyson ads. Easy to build? teehee, teehee ...Maybe not, but it would be fun to try.

Lots of things are possible for those who dream, even if they have to make-do with less than ideal equipment.

Heath, good luck and post how it turns out!
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 01-08-2018 at 8:24 PM.

Heath, that's actually a 1 HP motor that's not very efficient and built for intermittent load.

It's exactly the opposite of what you want for a dust collector..............Regards, Rod.

Router motors are designed for RPM's and are low on torque, it would have difficulty spinning an impeller. It like the difference between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines. Two stokes are light, build quick RPMs but lack in torque.

I wish I could remember where I read it since it been a few years ago but a lady wood worker actually made a dust collection system starting with a motor from a washing machine and a old force air pump volute the part that has the input and output connections and some 55 gallon plastic barrels.

Maybe pick up an old saw off of CL and salvage the motor from that. But not sure how long it would run continuously before overheating as table saw don't have long duty cycles.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

To many sparks....

Router motors are not appropriate for continuous use

Router motors are not appropriate for continuous use - it is the reason they usually pack a lot of power in a small size. Additionally they are rated for (very) high speed.

I wouldn't go with router motor to drive dust collection or any fan.

All the best,