Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cutting 1mm sterling silver sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob John View Post
    I wish there was a way to calculate the length of my pieces in EZCad because these waterjets have a speed in inches per minute. I could probably ballpark the cut time if I had that info,
    Just so happens my cheap Chinese LaserSoft program will do just that, and I'm guessing RDWorks and any other Chinese laser program WITH a cut simulator probably will too...

I typed in 'WHAT'S MY LINEAR CUT DISTANCE?' in 24pt Arial in Corel, imported to LaserSoft and entered it into the simulator; it came up with 754.58mm-
    here's a screenshot of the simulator-
    cut.jpg
    Closeup of the upper left corner so you can actually read the 'work distance'..
    cut2.jpg

so the outlines of that lettering at 1/4" tall total almost 29-3/4" total length--

I'd be glad to run some patterns thru my simulator, I use Corelx4- or you might be able to download LaserCut or some other software that will work in demo mode...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Most CAD software has an "analyze" function or maybe "Properties" that will list perimeter, surface area and if the part is 3D it will tell you volume and can give weights based on the type of material. You should be able to get the perimeter pretty easily that way. If nothing else, dimension all the straight lines and add the numbers up, it should be pretty close.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Just so happens my cheap Chinese LaserSoft program will do just that, and I'm guessing RDWorks and any other Chinese laser program WITH a cut simulator probably will too...

I typed in 'WHAT'S MY LINEAR CUT DISTANCE?' in 24pt Arial in Corel, imported to LaserSoft and entered it into the simulator; it came up with 754.58mm-
    here's a screenshot of the simulator-
    cut.jpg
    Closeup of the upper left corner so you can actually read the 'work distance'..
    cut2.jpg

so the outlines of that lettering at 1/4" tall total almost 29-3/4" total length--

I'd be glad to run some patterns thru my simulator, I use Corelx4- or you might be able to download LaserCut or some other software that will work in demo mode...
    So Kev, I downloaded Lasercut, and imported the image, ran simulate and I come up with two sets of numbers. Total length and cut length. Pretty big differences in those numbers. I'm guessing I go with total length?
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

NO, go with cut length, which is pure "laser on" distance-- TOTAL length includes "laser off" moves too! Just from home to work and back home can add LOTS of distance depending on where the actual work starts!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    NO, go with cut length, which is pure "laser on" distance-- TOTAL length includes "laser off" moves too! Just from home to work and back home can add LOTS of distance depending on where the actual work starts!

Well I'm glad I asked!

So for this one piece, it's 286.3mm (11.27"). But now I can't really find any info on these waterjets inches per minute calculation. Good thing the company that's selling them is going to give me that. I should know soon enough if a waterjet can beat my 13 minutes cut time on the fiber!
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7